Does size matter? Refugiums

waterbox15aio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fast you can grow and export macro algae is the name of the game with refugium. With proper lights and setup, a small refugium will still be effective, but still less so than a large one which is also effective.

The harder question is where is the happy medium? Too large and there are only so much nutrients the algae can eat so diminishing returns, and potentially strip the water too clean.

IMO HOB refugium aren't particularly effective, but for an average setup, a 10-30g refugium with the proper lights could be a cheato growing machine

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think sump manufacturers design with the thought of is this refugium the correct size for the intended tank. I think they stay with the thinking that it's not necessary. It's an after thought. Most people want options when they buy their sump. Some may have no idea what they want or really need for their setup. So they build the sump to accommodate a huge skimmer filter socks, ect, and whatever is left over is the refugium. I do believe they are trying to give every option in the smallest pkg. Some are installing all their other products into the sump. It's a great business move but not necessarily the best for advancing the hobby.
Fuge's don't sell expensive extra stuff like dosers, skimmers, pumps, socks etc.... maybe it is the razorblade mentality?

darrick001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
300g dt, 125g DIY Sump, the "fuge" chamber is 14 x 18 and holds about 14inches of water. Approx 15g of water. I can't grow Chaeto, it just withers and dies, so I grow what ever algae will grow in there under light opposite the tank lights. I do not have a ton of algae in my display but I have 7 tangs so they keep it pretty well under control. System is just over 1 yr old.
Looking at your setup you should be able to grow chaeto. I'm guessing you have an mineral deficiency. I ran into a similar problem and that was my issue. How is the flow in your sump compared to your display? What are your nutrient levels?

darrick001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm testing a HOB refugium right now. So far it's keeping 110 gallon reef with 10 inches of fish at undetectable levels going on 2 months. I'm trying to find it's limits. I just added additional lighting today to reduce co2. It hasn't been able to get the ph over 8. There is no skimmer. Hopefully tomorrow I'll start seeing 8.3-8.4. I don't consider it working until no3 is 0, no4 is 0 and ph stays above 8.3. If that happens for a month I'll start adding fish.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your setup you should be able to grow chaeto. I'm guessing you have an mineral deficiency. I ran into a similar problem and that was my issue. How is the flow in your sump compared to your display? What are your nutrient levels?
Salinity 1.026, temp 81.5, Nitrates 30 to 40ppm (I still use an API test for Nitrate), phos .05, DKH 9.6 Calcium 430 According to Hanna's, Tests done yesterday.

I grow GHA and all manner of algae great, including Coraline, my rock work has turned noticeably purple over the last 3 months, tank is just over 1yr old. My system flows at about 2600gph. Vectra L1 runs at 100% rated for 3100gph plumbed with 1inch flex hose 40inches of head height.

I don't think my set up or Nutrients has anything to do with not being able to grow chaeto, I'd suspect it is my grow light more than anything. I am using a 150watt grow spectrum LED off Amazon.com. Most likely I have way to much light for chaeto.

darrick001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrong type of nutrients. I'm talking iron, manganese, lithium. Theses trace elements are the ones that stop chaeto from growing.

darrick001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To much ligh is possible. If you have a par meter test it. I have seen chaeto grow well at over 1500 par so if your under that it should be fine.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 152 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%

Back