Jumper proof tops

El Toro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do fish that jump make it out of the tank?

I've heard of glass surfing up and over the edges. Or, are they just natural breachers that accidently breach the surface too close to the rim?

Before I get a known jumper, I want some protection. Right now Im considering a plexi fence that rings the tank but leaves the surface open. Some LFS have full covers, some have a cabinet with a sliding door above the tank rim and some just have a top ledge appx 3" wide (presumably to stop the glass surfers)

Love to hear from anyone who has seen jumper suicides 1st hand.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
There are several ( that I know of) screen tops that will cut down on losses by known jumpers.
I've tried the diy route, the polycarbonate screen top and currently am using the DD Jump Guard, which has worked out pretty well.
Back when I had a full canopy I didn't have and losses from jumpers.

OP
OP
El Toro

El Toro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mesh makes sense but I tried placing some 3/16 opening poly garden mesh with 2mm strands and it definately casts some odd shadows. I might consider 5/8 or even 1 inch which should cast fewer shadows from the stands.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally they jump from being startled or chased. I have seen them jump by following up the sides of the glass as well as just launching out like dolphins (lost a couple using euro braced tanks). They are expensive but I like the Clearview custom lids.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do fish that jump make it out of the tank?

I've heard of glass surfing up and over the edges. Or, are they just natural breachers that accidently breach the surface too close to the rim?

Before I get a known jumper, I want some protection. Right now Im considering a plexi fence that rings the tank but leaves the surface open. Some LFS have full covers, some have a cabinet with a sliding door above the tank rim and some just have a top ledge appx 3" wide (presumably to stop the glass surfers)

Love to hear from anyone who has seen jumper suicides 1st hand.
Well I was torn and went without cover. The reason was I wanted the best light penetration for coral I came downstairs a few days ago and found my clown on the floor. I now bought glass covers but am going to do a before and after reading with my apogee meter for Par I am wondering if I am missing something though. Any thoughts?

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass will work fine but you will have to clean pretty often or you will lose par. I also tried screen but the smaller fish will somehow find a way through unless it's 1/8". Full canopy works best.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 151 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back