Jumper!

phpwebdev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good news is... my new Watchman Goby landed in a tank below by falling through a crack in my stand top. The bad news is... it was a freshwater tank.

So.... DIY top from light baffle egg crate material at home depot? Is that how most people roll?

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use egg-crate with a nylon needle-point backing to keep jumpers in my quarantine tank. I had 2 diamond gobies jump out of my quarantine tanks through egg-crate by itself!

My DT uses 1/8" nylon screening for a cover and that has kept everything in my tank so far.

OP
OP
phpwebdev

phpwebdev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use egg-crate with a nylon needle-point backing to keep jumpers in my quarantine tank. I had 2 diamond gobies jump out of my quarantine tanks through egg-crate by itself!

My DT uses 1/8" nylon screening for a cover and that has kept everything in my tank so far.

What do you use to hold the 1/8" screen on your DT?

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you use to hold the 1/8" screen on your DT?

I went to Home depot and bought window screen framing, a few corner pieces, and the beading to hold the screen to the frame. Really simple project.

I then glued a small plastic (or metal, not sure) drawer pull on the top front so i can easily lift the screen during feeding and cleaning times.

I didn't want to build the screening around pipes, cords,etc... due to difficult angles, so, the back few inches of my top is egg-crate with the underlying plastic mesh to block the holes... much easier to cut around my over-the-back return line this way!

20190823_201804.jpg

20190823_202321.jpg

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Idoc Why a cover over your sump area?

I don't have a cover over my sump... just a screen top on my display tank and egg-crate (with nylon backing) on my quarantine tanks. I'll have to re-read my posts to see where I mentioned sump, lol.

OP
OP
phpwebdev

phpwebdev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a cover over my sump... just a screen top on my display tank and egg-crate (with nylon backing) on my quarantine tanks. I'll have to re-read my posts to see where I mentioned sump, lol.

Sorry, I thought that was an AIO tank and the back area was your sump. :)

I just went to HD last night and could not locate the mesh netting.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I thought that was an AIO tank and the back area was your sump. :)

I just went to HD last night and could not locate the mesh netting.

Lol... no not an AIO...I didn't want to have to di cutouts with my screen top for my pipes and cords so the back 3-4" off my tank has an egg-crate covering... easy easier to make cutouts!

The screen netting is not at home depot...just all the other stuff you need -- corner pieces, beading, and screen frame material. I bought my screen mesh material from Bulk Reef Supply. They actually have whole kits you can buy with all the parts needed... but, it is cheaper to get all the other stuff from home depot or Lowe's.

OP
OP
phpwebdev

phpwebdev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol... no not an AIO...I didn't want to have to di cutouts with my screen top for my pipes and cords so the back 3-4" off my tank has an egg-crate covering... easy easier to make cutouts!

The screen netting is not at home depot...just all the other stuff you need -- corner pieces, beading, and screen frame material. I bought my screen mesh material from Bulk Reef Supply. They actually have whole kits you can buy with all the parts needed... but, it is cheaper to get all the other stuff from home depot or Lowe's.

I had all the items in my BRS cart, ready to check-out. Then I saw a nearly 2-week shipping time and started looking elsewhere. I need this ASAP before my two other fish jump to their death. I may call around to LFS's today. I also found some 1/4" mesh on AZ but thats just not small enough for my liking, I am thinking I should use 1/8".

Reefnman2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to Home depot and bought window screen framing, a few corner pieces, and the beading to hold the screen to the frame. Really simple project.

I then glued a small plastic (or metal, not sure) drawer pull on the top front so i can easily lift the screen during feeding and cleaning times.

I didn't want to build the screening around pipes, cords,etc... due to difficult angles, so, the back few inches of my top is egg-crate with the underlying plastic mesh to block the holes... much easier to cut around my over-the-back return line this way!

20190823_201804.jpg

20190823_202321.jpg
May I ask where you got your egg crate from? Thanks.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask where you got your egg crate from? Thanks.
Egg crate was purchased at either home depot or lowes. It can be a little hard to find in the store, though. It should be in the lighting section since it's mainly used as a light diffuser!

You can also special order black egg-crate online but is pricey... around $25 a sheet compared to white at HD/Lowes for around $8 for a 4'x2' sheet.

Reefnman2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Egg crate was purchased at either home depot or lowes. It can be a little hard to find in the store, though. It should be in the lighting section since it's mainly used as a light diffuser!

You can also special order black egg-crate online but is pricey... around $25 a sheet compared to white at HD/Lowes for around $8 for a 4'x2' sheet.
Thank you, yes I saw the black on line at MD and others and you're right it is a little pricey, I'll check my local hardware stores.

Back