Jumpers vs. Polycarbonate tank lids

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Is there a safety concern with jumpers and clear fully-polycarbonate lids? Do they hit the lids and damage their mouths/spines? I suppose there is also the risk with any polycarbonate lids if they jump towards the edges, but if they jump in the middle then they have mesh instead.

I'm thinking of a lid like the following:

which is also similar to the lids that come on all Tenecor tanks, so I'm assuming they are OK, but just want to check if anyone has had problems with fish hitting the polycarbonate lid and getting injured/dying that way.

For my current lid, I think it's less of an issue since the edges of the lid are dark and the rest of the lid is mesh. Problems are: 1) the mesh isn't quite small enough, 2) the lid isn't very adaptable for devices like a Plank feeder.

Thanks!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Is there a safety concern with jumpers and clear fully-polycarbonate lids? Do they hit the lids and damage their mouths/spines? I suppose there is also the risk with any polycarbonate lids if they jump towards the edges, but if they jump in the middle then they have mesh instead.

which is also similar to the lids that come on all Tenecor tanks, so I'm assuming they are OK, but just want to check if anyone has had problems with fish hitting the polycarbonate lid and getting injured/dying that way.

For my current lid, I think it's less of an issue since the edges of the lid are dark and the rest of the lid is mesh. Problems are: 1) the mesh isn't quite small enough, 2) the lid isn't very adaptable for devices like a Plank feeder.

Thanks!
They sell tighter mesh it has much smaller holes if you wanna swap out what you have.. the full poly isn’t a bad choice just sucks to keep clean like a glass lid.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it can happen but it is still less likely for a death to occur in this manner than a fish jumping out with no lid present.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the same as a scared fish darting and hitting the glass. I’ve kept solid glass lids for 20 years and had a 8” banana wrasses that’s was a jumper if he got spooked. He hit the glass lid a few times and would swim off like nothing happened. I’m sure there are tons of people out there with solid glass lids in both fw and sw hobbies. I’ve never heard of an injury like this

And I would say the poly lid is safer because it had a bit of flex compared to solid glass

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never heard of an injury like this

Ive actually lost a 2 foot silver arrowana (freshwater), because my maid was vacuming, and accidentally bumped the tank, which spooked that fish causing it to jump.

And they are very powerful jumpers.

But it was enough force to crack the glass lid, and cause enough concusive damage to it, that it didn't live long afterwards.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the same as a scared fish darting and hitting the glass. I’ve kept solid glass lids for 20 years and had a 8” banana wrasses that’s was a jumper if he got spooked. He hit the glass lid a few times and would swim off like nothing happened. I’m sure there are tons of people out there with solid glass lids in both fw and sw hobbies. I’ve never heard of an injury like this

And I would say the poly lid is safer because it had a bit of flex compared to solid glass
I like the lid you sent yesterday from Etsy. I'm imagining that your maintenance is a simple wipe down with a wet cloth every day or every few days?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything on the top of the lid is the owners fault from dripping and not wiping up

Guilty.

I’m getting used to the corner feed holes I had made. Now I use them for adding aminos and supplements, food, using long coral feeding tool to flip over snails or plugs. I had the holes made 2” exactly and have a 3d printing buddy whose making me feeding cups to drop in. Then I can put in a frozen cube and walk away

Anything on the bottom is from tank splashing or condensation and all you have to do for that is hold the lid vertical and it all drips back in. I don’t even worry about what’s on the bottom. I don’t get salt creep because whatever saltwater gets on the bottom, it gets diluted and replaced by new water splashing. You only get salt creep when salt lands somewhere and dries out

A solid lid like this reduces evaporation. It catches it like little droplets. Those droplets dilute old droplets that are starting to dry out.

I will randomly with no Prep go to my tank and take a pic of my lid which I have not cleaned in over a week

I need 1-2 minutes to get there

Here. We. Go…

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small amount of salt creep on the top of the door

The majority of what you see is drops and micro drops, evaporation that collects, groups together, and drips back in as the drops get large enough

When I do clean the lid, I stand it vertical in the kitchen sink and use the sprayer on both sides and then just tap it a few times to get excess water off and I put it back

85BB3516-151E-4C9E-80EB-86A674AE4339.jpeg 9114F97A-6A16-4445-BFEB-AB42E008BCA9.jpeg 711525F8-FC23-4874-88E3-637EE90A8F90.jpeg

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small amount of salt creep on the top of the door

The majority of why’s you see is drops and micro drops, evaporation they collects, groups together, and drops back in as the drops get large enough

When I do clean the lid, I stand it vertical in the kitchen sink and use the sprayer on both sides and then just tap it a few times to get excess water off and I put it back
Thanks for posting that, very helpful to see real world example.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting that, very helpful to see real world example.

FYI I had this lid custom made from that Etsy seller. I have a mirrored one on the other side. He did not charge me for any modifications and built to my measurements.

Somehow I forgot to ask for handles…so that’s my fault. I can get some online if I needed to. But if you want handles make sure to ask. I take the feed door off and then open it

WalterLidz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Thanks!
That’s my lid! I haven’t heard of problems yet

Attachments

• 5EAC5476-5339-4D2C-B6D0-5EEFCFBC7ACF.jpeg
    5EAC5476-5339-4D2C-B6D0-5EEFCFBC7ACF.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 9B8773C3-6AFB-46DA-8221-82A9B6A40524.jpeg
    9B8773C3-6AFB-46DA-8221-82A9B6A40524.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 19

beegee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Thanks!

I ordered a lid from that Etsy seller, Walter. Ordered it for a Waterbox 25 peninsula. Can provide feedback and answers once I get it on the tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back