Jumping back in!

acperge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I got pretty heavily involved in this hobby back in 2009/10ish, when it consumed all of my time and money... Previously had a 180, 120, 90, and 75 going, along with some smaller frag tanks, etc. The 180 was OLD SCHOOL, like Pheonix 14k MH bulbs with Icecap ballasts old... I got out of the hobby at least 10 years ago, and sold off everything I had. Now, it's 2024, and I've been thinking a lot lately about getting something going again, for a small (at least small-ish) living room display.

Previously I was far more interested in the fish, vs the coral. This time around, I'd like to get a good mixed reef going that give me a good color pop, accented with just a couple fish. Nothing crazy, some easier LPS like torch, frogspawn, or hammer, some nice zoas, maybe some montipora... Ya'know, that usual suspects stuff.

I've been considering a few options, such as a 40 breeder (with a sump), a 29gal oceanic biocube, a Fluval Evo 13.5, the list goes on... I like the idea of an AIO or cube, but my old school knowledge is all sump based... Perfect world, I'd get a 180 going, but the wife has a hard 'NO' to that idea, and agrees something smaller would be nice to have going again.

I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation on between an old school tank and sump setup, vs a cube style, and any advice on what the latest 'must have' tech might be - especially in lighting. I see there's been a pretty significant uptick in technology, so looking for feedback on what's worth investment, etc.

That said, if you’re in Michigan, and have a setup kicking around that you're looking to move, I might be interested... I'm starting back from zero, and I'm willing to consider just about anything that feeds the habit and gets my feet wet again.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I got pretty heavily involved in this hobby back in 2009/10ish, when it consumed all of my time and money... Previously had a 180, 120, 90, and 75 going, along with some smaller frag tanks, etc. The 180 was OLD SCHOOL, like Pheonix 14k MH bulbs with Icecap ballasts old... I got out of the hobby at least 10 years ago, and sold off everything I had. Now, it's 2024, and I've been thinking a lot lately about getting something going again, for a small (at least small-ish) living room display.

Previously I was far more interested in the fish, vs the coral. This time around, I'd like to get a good mixed reef going that give me a good color pop, accented with just a couple fish. Nothing crazy, some easier LPS like torch, frogspawn, or hammer, some nice zoas, maybe some montipora... Ya'know, that usual suspects stuff.

I've been considering a few options, such as a 40 breeder (with a sump), a 29gal oceanic biocube, a Fluval Evo 13.5, the list goes on... I like the idea of an AIO or cube, but my old school knowledge is all sump based... Perfect world, I'd get a 180 going, but the wife has a hard 'NO' to that idea, and agrees something smaller would be nice to have going again.

I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation on between an old school tank and sump setup, vs a cube style, and any advice on what the latest 'must have' tech might be - especially in lighting. I see there's been a pretty significant uptick in technology, so looking for feedback on what's worth investment, etc.

That said, if you’re in Michigan, and have a setup kicking around that you're looking to move, I might be interested... I'm starting back from zero, and I'm willing to consider just about anything that feeds the habit and gets my feet wet again.
Welcome to R2R!

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Greetings and welcome to the reef! As far as equipment goes I would say that, while not necessarily a "must have", a controller definitely makes your life easier.

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GMP_U2F2ZUdIMDE=.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’d go with an AIO not sure about the bio cube. Take a look at some of the water box AIO tanks. Good products.

ChefCab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back! Only been in this for 14 months but I can say I am happy i didn't go smaller than 75 gallons. 10% is just under 2 buckets and you have room to play and grow and most importantly, make mistakes. Mine is a HOB system but if you have the money, the AIO are great.
One pointer: Don't go cheap on lights, you'll regret it.
Can't wait to see what you do.

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just moved from Michigan and couple years ago and sold my large system. Lots of great people in the Michigan area who are in the hobby - quite miss the community there actually.

There are a lot of Facebook groups for the Michigan reefers that I would suggest checking out, as well as here. But those seems to be a bit more active with the community there and a better chance at finding something.

OP
OP
A

acperge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved from Michigan and couple years ago and sold my large system. Lots of great people in the Michigan area who are in the hobby - quite miss the community there actually.

There are a lot of Facebook groups for the Michigan reefers that I would suggest checking out, as well as here. But those seems to be a bit more active with the community there and a better chance at finding something.
Thanks. I'll give that a go as well

OP
OP
A

acperge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back! Only been in this for 14 months but I can say I am happy i didn't go smaller than 75 gallons. 10% is just under 2 buckets and you have room to play and grow and most importantly, make mistakes. Mine is a HOB system but if you have the money, the AIO are great.
One pointer: Don't go cheap on lights, you'll regret it.
Can't wait to see what you do.
Yeah, I hear ya. My previous setups were all on the large scale, specifically so I could get the fish I really wanted (Mostly tangs - Yellow, Powder Blue, Blue Hippo, Purple, Naso). I was fortunate enough to have the space and patience to acquire those. Now, I'm just looking for something small and 'pretty' that I can enjoy from the comfort of my living room, vs a dedicated 'fish room' I had going previously.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back