Jumping head first into a Reefer 625 XXL

Urtie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

Swedish computer nerd, RC-enthusiast and aspiring reefer here.

A while back, my wife called me on the way home from spending the day at the aquarium with the kids. She wanted an aquarium. A saltwater aquarium, no less. I've always kind of wanted one, but thought it seemed too temperamental and messy. Also, I kind of assumed she wouldn't want to put up with it. This seemed like the perfect chance, so I went into research mode.

The automation and testing available now really sold it for me.

A few days of heavy research later, she exclaimed:

Why do you always have to be so serious about everything?!

She had been under the impression that we would go to a local store, buy some neat little aquarium set with everything included, plop a couple of fish in and call it a day. Unfortunately for her, I had come down with severe Reef Tank poisoning, so that was obviously crazy talk. Maybe she was just irritated that I couldn't stop talking about skimmers and pumps, but I chose to believe she was just temporarily confused.

eyes-on-the-prize-baby.png

Once she watched some videos of large reef tanks, she was completely on board. As long as she gets Nemo and Dory, she's happy. She doesn't want to know how much it's all going to cost, but hey, neither do I.

The goal is a SPS dominant mixed reef tank, with more fish than is probably sensible.

Eventually, I settled on a shopping list. Everything was ordered a bit over a week ago, and some of the smaller stuff has started trickling in:

The tank:

Red Sea Reefer XXL 625 V3
(Arrived)

The whole paper test / 750 disaster obviously cost me some sleep and resulted in a few extra wrinkles, but at the end of the day, I couldn't find any better alternatives short of a custom tank. I'm telling myself they probably keep a closer eye on QA than usual right now, and that my tank is going to be completely flawless and made of magic.

Only upside of that whole scare was being reminded to check with the insurance company that I'm properly covered.

The tank hasn't arrived yet, and since it's going to be drop shipped, I won't really hear anything until a couple of days before it arrives.

I've started preparing the living room where it's going to sit by placing a 3mm polycarbonate sheet with UV protective coating on the floor. It's hardwood directly on top of the concrete slab, so it's mostly to help distribute the weight of the cabinet feet, and protect the floor from small spills and splashes. It won't save the floor entirely, but it'll help. The tank itself is going to be at least 10 inches from the wall, but I'm still working on ideas on how to protect the wall from splashes.

Not sure what to do about the top off yet. The float valve seems universally disliked, and the RO tank will probably be in the way.

Cover:

Red Sea Net Cover
(Arrived)

Hearing that most people think it's too flimsy, so might end up regretting this one.

Blue glow generators:

4 x Red Sea ReefLED 90
(Arrived)

I like the idea of presets and limited options, to protect myself from constant fiddling. I went with four rather than the suggested three because I'd rather run them at a slightly lower setting and hopefully limit the fan noise. Also not sure how much the cover is going to obscure the lights.

Heaters:

2 x Aqua Medic 300W Titanium Heater
(Arrived)

These don't have thermostats, so I was initially just going to run them off the APEX. Since then, you have all scared me enough to realize that I need redundant controllers, so I'm going to buy a separate controller for them, and power that controller off the APEX, so I don't risk boiling my tank.

Return pump:

Neptune COR-20
(Arrived)

The COR-20 seemed like good value with decent performance, and I want to be able to affordably keep a spare.

Powerheads:

4 x Vortech MP40WQD
(Arrived)

The magnetic wet side sold it for me. I have ordered a spare wet side, so I can clean one at a time without ever having any downtime.

Four of them is probably overkill, but it should allow for good flow everywhere in the tank, without crazy hot spots.

Hoping to place them so only two of them needs to run on battery in case of a power outage.

Filter:

ClariSea Gen2 SK5000
(Arrived)

Just watching videos about changing and cleaning filter socks made me not want to do it. Either introducing unknown amounts of contaminants by washing with tap water, or having to make RO water just to clean them or rinse them. No thank you!

Planning on removing the filter sock assembly completely, and plumbing the overflow directly to the ClariSea.

Skimmer:

Red Sea RSK 900
(Arrived)

I understand some people are having trouble with them. Hoping it'll be alright.

Manifold / reactor pump:

Neptune COR-15
(Arrived)

I wanted as much flow as possible through the return, and not having to worry about how much the reactors and manifold is restricting it. The COR-15 seems nice enough, and being able to drive it with just a 1LINK cable a bonus.

Reactors:

Aquaforest AF110
(Arrived)

Planning to use it for carbon. Plenty of space left for other media in the future.

2 x ITC ALR-MR220 (Arrived)

Algae reactors. Probably chaeto. Going to ramp up to first using one, then both once the bio load needs them.

Controller:

APEX with the lab-grade probes & two energy bars
(Arrived)

The whole controller thing made me embarrassingly excited. Automation and tinkering is absolutely my thing, so a controller was a no brainer. The APEX was an easy choice, given how prolific it is.

WXM (for the MP40s), AFS, FMK (planning on measuring return flow), MPR & extra energy bar has arrived. Only the APEX itself is missing.

Working on ideas for mounting everything. Not keen on keeping the APEX itself in the cabinet so near the sump. Can't imagine the humidity is going to be good for it. Operation "Honey, we need a second cabinet" has begun. It has met limited success so far.

RO:

D-D RO150 + silicate filter & booster pump
(Arrived)

Not planning to do huge water changes, so hopefully a 150 gallon / day unit will be good enough. Might reconsider once I have to start filling the quarantine tanks.

Dosing:

2 x APEX DOS + DDR Combo Package
(Arrived)

Have ATI Essentials Pro on order, which is a concentrated two-part that is supposed to contain "everything". Sort of like Triton Core 7, but concentrated into two bottles. Leaves two dosing containers and two pumps for other things and/or just the pump for water changes.

Salt:

ATI Absolute Ocean
(Arrived)

A liquid, lab grade concentrate, so no mixing in buckets, and waiting for it to dissolve.

Should make water changes quicker and less messy. I also really like the idea of it being perfectly consistent.

Sand:

ATI Fiji White Sand
(Arrived)

A bunch of bags of the 0.3 - 1.2 mm grain stuff. It's supposed to be super clean, and heavier than the usual aragonite, so it'll move around less.

Planning on a relative thin cover.

Rock:

Marco
(Arrived)

I really don't want any pests in the tank that I don't put there myself.

I realize dead rocks is going to take a lot of time to get started properly, but I'm plenty patient, and the idea of starting the tank with a bunch of pests and Aiptasia really freaks me out.

Hardest part is going to keep the wife and kids off my back during the months of waiting for the tank to do anything other than smell weird.

Plus a bunch of other small things to help with maintenance and such.

I think that's it for now! Hoping to document as much of this as possible.

Last edited:

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats, that's gonna be an awesome tank. The best thing I can recommend is the biggest problem for us all, patience. If you do go SPS then take your time, it is so worth it in the long run.

OP
OP
Urtie

Urtie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has arrived, but we promptly broke it when moving it inside. The wait begins for a replacement..

OP
OP
Urtie

Urtie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man.. that’s to bad. Wish I went with the Clarisea roller. Looking forward to how you install it into the sump.

welcome to the 625 club

Thanks! You just gave me an idea, actually. Now that I have a second tank on the way, I'll actually end up with two sumps. I was planning on cutting the filter socks out, so this gives me the opportunity to practice with less worry :D

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! You just gave me an idea, actually. Now that I have a second tank on the way, I'll actually end up with two sumps. I was planning on cutting the filter socks out, so this gives me the opportunity to practice with less worry :D
You couldn't just order the basic tank as a replacement and save some money? Your not the first to breat a tank, Red sea can send out a basic replacement tank

OP
OP
Urtie

Urtie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You couldn't just order the basic tank as a replacement and save some money? Your not the first to breat a tank, Red sea can send out a basic replacement tank

The distributor here wanted the equivalent of about $200 less for just the tank than a brand new tank with everything. My LFS said they can probably sell the extra cabinet, so getting the full package will probably end up saving me money.

The explanation they gave was that because Red Sea gets everything packaged from the factory, they have to manually break a package to get a separate tank, and then warehouse the cabinet and sump, so they consider it more trouble than it's worth for them.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The distributor here wanted the equivalent of about $200 less for just the tank than a brand new tank with everything. My LFS said they can probably sell the extra cabinet, so getting the full package will probably end up saving me money.

The explanation they gave was that because Red Sea gets everything packaged from the factory, they have to manually break a package to get a separate tank, and then warehouse the cabinet and sump, so they consider it more trouble than it's worth for them.
I would have gone Red Sea direct and by passed the distributor entirely. But I guess it's different in Europe. Never the less. Still an expensive lesson. Wish you well.

OP
OP
Urtie

Urtie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have gone Red Sea direct and by passed the distributor entirely. But I guess it's different in Europe. Never the less. Still an expensive lesson. Wish you well.

Thanks! I tried, but they brushed me off. I figured if nothing else, it might get me a replacement quickly, but they didn't want to deal with it.

OP
OP
Urtie

Urtie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is finally in place.

DSC_4797.JPG

IMG_20191112_185620.jpg

And level, though I'll have to see how that holds up once I fill it.

So excited to get started!

Planning on cutting the filter sock section out of the sump tomorrow, to make room for the Clarisea.

OP
OP
Urtie

Urtie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter sock section of the sump has been successfully removed:

IMG_20191113_165838.jpg

I apologize for the awful lighting, but I was so excited to get it in the cabinet that I forgot to take a picture before then. The float valve and hose has since been removed, since I'm not going to use it. Replaced by a Neptune ATK v2.

The Red Sea reservoir has in turn been replaced with a ~12 gallon plastic container that is going to sit inside the cabinet where the electronics normally go:

30345853-origpic-e2f60b.png

Need to drill some holes in that for the pump and come up with a convenient way to refill it. Thinking about a funnel with a lid on a hose, but not sure yet.

Mostly I've just been making water, and more water. I thought I had a fair bit made already, but I've already used it all up and then some just to wash sand and rocks. At least the filtering is working well!

In:

IMG_20191115_235032.jpg

And out:

IMG_20191115_234947.jpg

Keeping busy with cabinet building and mounting electronics while waiting for water. More updates soon, I hope!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back