Just a couple of fellas talking bout phytoplankton

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are no Cruise or DiCaprio but informative video. Nice job!
I guess it just hasn’t happened to me yet, a crash, but I don’t do any kind of sterilization. I grow phyto, harvest 2/3’s, top off with fsw, add 1ml of F2, bubbler and light. Rinse and repeat. Been doing this a while and no crashes yet.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangent (sorry) as this thread is about live phyto but wondering if dried phytoplankton (leftover food from moon jellyfish) has any benefit.

I throw some in every so often while feeding just for fun -- wonder if it's being eaten (and healthy) by zoas/pods/other inverts.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangent (sorry) as this thread is about live phyto but wondering if dried phytoplankton (leftover food from moon jellyfish) has any benefit.

I throw some in every so often while feeding just for fun -- wonder if it's being eaten (and healthy) by zoas/pods/other inverts.
From what I’ve read, there are benefits even with dry or dead phyto but not as nutritious or beneficial as live.

OP
OP
Anthony Scholfield

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are no Cruise or DiCaprio but informative video. Nice job!
I guess it just hasn’t happened to me yet, a crash, but I don’t do any kind of sterilization. I grow phyto, harvest 2/3’s, top off with fsw, add 1ml of F2, bubbler and light. Rinse and repeat. Been doing this a while and no crashes yet.
Haha thanks :) those guys are past their prime anyway lol :p

Awesome! Glad it’s working great for you. Whatever you’re doing, keep it up haha.

How big of a container do you use? I’m assuming you just pour some out of the container to harvest, then add fresh SW back into the container with the remaining phyto and add a bit more fertilizer?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Showing my age with those 2.

I use a 2L glass mason jar used for pickling. Top is also glass with a rubber gasket and a metal strap so it locks closed. I removed the metal strapping so it doesn’t rust. Just have the airline tubing in the jar and place the top on that so it covers most of the opening but there is a crack where the hose is.
Yes, exactly as you state is how I harvest and repeat. I go about 8-9 days between harvests. Once it gets that inky, dark green I harvest it so more by eye than anything else.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also have an LED desk lamp on a timer. Do 16 hours. And a air pump with regulator that I have going at a rolling boil. Split that off as I have another jar where I’m raising pods. Feed the pods and my tank the phyto. And then move batches of pods to my DT when the population is dense. Also, very simple to maintain.

Aquius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the secchi stick conversion chart for the different strains?

OP
OP
Anthony Scholfield

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THANKS!!!
Here ya go :) if ya need anything else let me know.

8D20B024-27B4-495E-8131-AC7E574B9053.jpeg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back