Just a Reminder to Please do Proper Research and if You're Still Not Sure, Get Opinions Before Adding a Highly Difficult Species

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most reefers with at least a decent amount of experience already know the importance of having some knowledge regarding what they're about to add to their tank before making a purchase but for those who are new or just haven't been in the hobby for long enough may not realize the point of doing research on what you want to keep. It's a daily occurrence to come across threads asking why X invert or fish died when just a bit of research or asking questions would have given off a number of red flags. For instance, the first addition to your tank probably shouldn't be a difficult species of anemone (or almost any anemone for that matter). There are reasons for this and it isn't because people are just jealous of how beautiful your anemone is in comparison to theirs. An even better example is starfish. There are a few that will do fine in captivity without tediously caring for them and having the willingness to dedicate extra time only to them. However, these usually aren't the species people tend to want to stock. Instead they opt for various Linckia species (in particular blue Linckias), Fromia species, and others simply because they like how they look and impulse buy. This has escalated to the point that Linckias laegivata (Blue Linckias) make up approximately 3% of inverts harvested from the wild according to some sources. (I don't know the accuracy of this number but I do know that a ridiculous number are imported and die rather quickly. It's my belief that even though some reefkeepers who have even been in the hobby for some time believe that simply because their system is large, because they keep a "dirty" tank, or due to the fact their tank is stable they won't have the same problems 99% of people do. The associated issues are far more complicated than any of that which proper research (not only asking the opinion of someone who's been successful to reinforce your belief that youll be able to keep them long term, but doing other research as well) will tell you. There are many fish that have similar issues being kept in captivity as well. Please just do your due diligence for yourself, your bank account, and of course for the sake of the fish/invert.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to go into all the associated details here as to what I believe to be the issues with keeping certain species, I just wanted to remind anyone who might be about to make another risky purchase to just take a little time to research what you're about to have under you're personal care. And PLEASE don't go right back out and buy another of whatever it is right after it dies still lacking knowledge about it and why it's considered difficult.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is what drove me crazy when I worked for the LFS. Even if you spend your time trying to give people advice on how to properly care for something...most people don't care...they would buy it anyway regardless if they had the means to care for it or not.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what drove me crazy when I worked for the LFS. Even if you spend your time trying to give people advice on how to properly care for something...most people don't care...they would buy it anyway regardless if they had the means to care for it or not.
It's one of those things where if you flat out told them "this will die very soon in your particular system" they'd insist on buying it regardless and if you tried to further deter them they'd get mad almost certainly. Glad to hear you worked for a good shop that was willing to give advice in the best interest of the fish or invert as opposed to the shops that value the sale far more.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back