A reminder to support your LFS

PasoFish89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I was in my LFS, they got a fish in I've been keeping an eye out for, but didn't buy it because it just arrived. I figured I would give it a day or two to settle in before I get it into QT. Anyway, I went back today to see how it was going to get priced etc., and it had died. (lucky I didn't purchase it yesterday when I arrived, cause it looked pretty healthy).

I got to talking with the owner for a while about the state of affairs with being a LFS today and how hard it is. This fish cost him $40-50 bucks typically and he sells it around $75. Now he'll be selling the next one at $75-80 at a cost of $80-100 for dead one and then replacement.

He also mentioned he has about 50% of the sales volume he had before COVID and how razor thin the margins are on dry goods.

Anyway, just a reminder to go visit your LFS first when you need something. If they don’t have it, they can most likely order it and have it in hand in a few days. Another example, I recently bought a tank from him that had a bad seam. Long story short, to avoid shipping costs etc with warranty replacements, he just swapped it out for me at the store and sent the bad one back to the vendor himself. Try that with an online retailer.

I can go on and on with reasons to support your LFS, but I'll leave it at that. PLEASE make your LFS your first stop when it comes to livestock and dry goods. The internet is great, easy, convenient and whatever, but this hobby will be in a bad way when the LFS's die off. Mine is my only option inside an hour travel time from my house.

That's all I got!

Last edited:

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spot on! I’ve got a great lfs, very knowledgeable owners that have been in the business for decades. Great selection of live stock in stellar, clean tanks and all the food and dry goods. I try to buy everything there even if it costs a little more. They steered me away from buying a diamond watchman goby for a couple months because they didn’t think my sand bed was mature enough to sustain it. They truly care about the customers success and the animals welfare.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Support your local business or eventually there won't be any. I'm fortunate I have 3 lfs one is my favorite. He keeps a nice inventory of dry goods like ecotech vortechs and radions, controllers, regents etc. Its a 45 minute drive (yes 45 minutes is considered local living where I do ;) ) so I usually stock up when I go. The owner is very knowledgeable and willing to share info even if it isn't making him a sale. He'll also order fish and let me pick them up still bagged if I want. Oh and I always try to pay cash. Saves him the CC fees and he usually cuts me a break.

Last edited:

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just thinking about this the other day. I go to two different lfs on a regular basis. Both are usually great, great amount of supplies, good selection of livestock owners/operators/managers are very knowledgeable. I have been going to these stores for over 30 years. The other day I had a discussion with one of the owners of one of the stores that just rubbed me wrong. I have bred many fish fresh and some salt in the last 30 years or so usually no issues with offloading these fish within reason of coarse. I dont haggle on price, I usually just take whatever they offer usually store credit, I'll ask for some cash instead rarely. I have been trying to whittle down my fresh water fish tired of breeding. The store in question had neither of the fish I have as juveniles available. He said bring them up on tuesday or wednesday night bring me 6 of each if I sell them I'll give you store credit for them and maybe I'll want more.....This has never been the case before and he knows I cant make an hour drive before he closes on a week night. Also I am not taking time off work to deliver 12 fish that I may or may not get anything for. Both are pretty popular fish and are a staple in the hobby. He could have just said we have them on order already or not interested. The other store already had these fish last time I was in so I left them a reminder I have some ready to go before they order more. Both stores are busy and blow through livestock. Seems as the one store doesnt want to support hobby breeders anymore. If thats the case why should I support them when I can get my usable products from some corporation delivered to my door for the same price or cheaper with what seems the same amount of care (or lack there of) for me? I have ordered corals online prefer to go with hobbyists in my area first, stores are usually just too expensive but I have been known to impulse buy. I have not ordered fish online in many years maybe I'll start that too.

Mostly just venting. I will most likely still support these stores. It does make buying salt, food, chemicals, more fish easier when you've got some store credit sitting there and store credit is basically .50 on the dollar for the store so its a win win for both.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a good LFS that's great. The closest fish store to me is Petco and I occasionally support them.

My better store is an hour away, been under new ownership for several years, they do more than fish. They have some of the dry goods I consume like salt, carbon, puddy. Livestock like corals are hit or miss, prices are fine regarding corals, but selection is lacking. I bought some snails last time I was there, turbos and large nassarius, they were $9 each....I spent about $80 for 7 or 8 snails.

The only reef store is 1.5 hours away and not in a convenient stopping district for other needs.

I did visit a store near my folks in Mass, which will get my business in the future.... their snails were much cheaper, only spent $40. Much better selection of coral as well.

CyberNinjaZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to support my lfs, but I enquired about a 65 gallon reef ready, at which point they told me it would add $160 over msrp to get. Although I understand a little mark up for shipping, I'm not ok with paying an additional 1/3 of the actual price. This is on top of everything being well above msrp through other stores further away and online.

I tried, though.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back