A little frustrated need to vent.

Shameless_Dood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on an out of state trip. My normal tank sitter has come with me. I had a LFS schedule to come take a look at the tank and just make sure everything was still running, top off the top off container, check for any missing fish, and leave. I had initially contacted some folks on here, but elected to go with a LFS, figured that was a safer option, not a knock on anyone (thank you to everyone who reached out), a LFS is bonded, insured, and all that.

So the dude comes today, I let him in remotely and said "call me if you have any questions." Even left a note explaining where everything was, left a tablet so he can look at the apex, left some fish food out, etc etc.

As I'm watching the cameras for him to leave, I noticed my PH jumped about .75. Mind you it has already been high because well no one is home to add co2 into the air and bring the ph down. I immediately knew he dosed something. Turns out my 7.5 dkh was not high enough for his liking so he dosed some buffer. Next time trident tested it was almost 9.

Had he called me, I would have told him not to, I can adjust the doses from here. AND the tank just looks better at a lower dkh. Also, dude, ya don't make changes to anything when you aren't the main maintainer without asking. You also don't make changes when no one is around to intervene.

This is just frustrating. I hired a professional because I didn't want to stress about the tank whole i was gone, so much for that.....now I'm wondering what else did he do and what kind of carnage am I going to walk into in a few days.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes... that's definitely annoying. He should have asked you what you like to keep your parameters at before Dosing stuff. Have you talked to your LFS about it? Maybe they can give you a refund?

OP
OP
Shameless_Dood

Shameless_Dood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes... that's definitely annoying. He should have asked you what you like to keep your parameters at before Dosing stuff. Have you talked to your LFS about it? Maybe they can give you a refund?
I've reached out to them through text. Not super crazy about their response so far, "the ph will go back to normal" Well, duh. What about the alkalinity swing you just unnecessarily induced?

I am trying to talk myself into that I'm being a little unreasonable and that its not going to be as bad as I think. But it has taken almost 2 years for this tank to finally take off, I do not want a setback.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to talk myself into that I'm being a little unreasonable and that its not going to be as bad as I think. But it has taken almost 2 years for this tank to finally take off, I do not want a setback.
You are not being unreasonable, but it also likely isn't going to be as bad as you think. When you hire someone to do a job and they mess with other stuff, it's reasonable to be upset.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re completely wrong and you’re right but I agree with other posters that more likely than not as long as you let it go back down to your preferred level over the next few weeks it’ll be just fine. I recently overdosed my tank from my usual 9 to 11 and instead of reacting and trying to correct I just let it slowly go down on its own and my tank didn’t skip a beat. I hope the same for you!

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll play devil's advocate here:
Based on your first paragraph only, seems like they fulfilled their obligation.
*LFS normal maintenance is probably geared towards tanks for people who are more hands-off so they follow a standard set of reasonable procedures

If you had discussions about your specific desires in advance that they failed to meet, then that's a different story.

P.S. I get your concern but feel like, in the end, this will play out as not a huge problem

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am on an out of state trip. My normal tank sitter has come with me. I had a LFS schedule to come take a look at the tank and just make sure everything was still running, top off the top off container, check for any missing fish, and leave. I had initially contacted some folks on here, but elected to go with a LFS, figured that was a safer option, not a knock on anyone (thank you to everyone who reached out), a LFS is bonded, insured, and all that.

So the dude comes today, I let him in remotely and said "call me if you have any questions." Even left a note explaining where everything was, left a tablet so he can look at the apex, left some fish food out, etc etc.

As I'm watching the cameras for him to leave, I noticed my PH jumped about .75. Mind you it has already been high because well no one is home to add co2 into the air and bring the ph down. I immediately knew he dosed something. Turns out my 7.5 dkh was not high enough for his liking so he dosed some buffer. Next time trident tested it was almost 9.

Had he called me, I would have told him not to, I can adjust the doses from here. AND the tank just looks better at a lower dkh. Also, dude, ya don't make changes to anything when you aren't the main maintainer without asking. You also don't make changes when no one is around to intervene.

This is just frustrating. I hired a professional because I didn't want to stress about the tank whole i was gone, so much for that.....now I'm wondering what else did he do and what kind of carnage am I going to walk into in a few days.
Changes are up to you unless you instructed them to make adjustments if needed. At this point, I would note everything you explained, get together with persons and explain your concerns about changes and get an assurance in writing that will assure they will take responsibility/ liability for any issues

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So you hired a professional and now you're trying to micro manage him and even spying on him remotely?

What happened to letting them do their job and not stressing about the tank?

rc8t6353

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you hired a professional and now you're trying to micro manage him and even spying on him remotely?

2 years of hard work would make me wanna keep an eye out too. I'm not knocking the professional, but, wouldn't a professional at least find out what the normal parameters on the tank are before dosing..... Anything

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah, how dare you spy on a complete stranger in your own home? Don't you know that what happens in your house when your gone is completely none of your business?

Last edited:

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've reached out to them through text. Not super crazy about their response so far, "the ph will go back to normal" Well, duh. What about the alkalinity swing you just unnecessarily induced?

What "Buffer" did he add? Sounds very irregular.

OP
OP
Shameless_Dood

Shameless_Dood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well at least I am not completely crazy. Lol.

I'll play devil's advocate here:
Based on your first paragraph only, seems like they fulfilled their obligation.
*LFS normal maintenance is probably geared towards tanks for people who are more hands-off so they follow a standard set of reasonable procedures

If you had discussions about your specific desires in advance that they failed to meet, then that's a different story.

P.S. I get your concern but feel like, in the end, this will play out as not a huge problem
my discussion with the LFS was they were doing a 'well check'. We discussed I just needed someone to fill the top off container and look for an emergency type situation. Failed pump, water on the floor, etc.
2 years of hard work would make me wanna keep an eye out too. I'm not knocking the professional, but, wouldn't a professional at least find out what the normal parameters on the tank are before dosing..... Anything
That's kind of my point, to me it makes sense they would think "this is the first time I've seen this tank. I probably should ask some questions." Had he called me, I would have told him I had already upped the dosage on the 2 part because it was trending down slightly.
What "Buffer" did he add? Sounds very irregular.
Looks like the fritz alk additive.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 58 73.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back