LFS vs corporate online fish?

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way that a LFS can feasibly compete with the big online vendors when it comes to fish? I want to support LFS but I feel like a fool for buying a fish that's usually more $$ and with no "warranty". For example I was quoted $200 to order a mystery wrasse with no guarantee from my LFS but I can get one from petco for $175 delivered to my door with a 7 day guarantee.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an interesting question. I prefer purchasing from my particular LFS because I know how they care for the fish, I see their quarantine process, and they warranty their fish. I am happy to pay a fair premium for that. I have also ordered online and have been happy with the fish I got there (Biota).

I wouldn't buy from the LFS you describe because they do not do what my LFS does.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought all 7 of my fish from my lfs, I’m lucky to have such a good one. They have all been in there over two years except for the tailspot I added about four months ago. I prefer buying local, I can watch the fish eat and get a good idea about it’s health. Buying local greatly reduces shipping stress.

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen both great and awful LFS. The one where I live is on the bad side of things. However, I recently bought a Biota captive bred green filefish and is by far the calmest and most well adapted fish I've ever owned. So I can see both sides.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy almost all livestock in person unless I just can’t source otherwise - eg I got my mandarin from biota because nobody seemed to carry them locally.

I also tend to buy incrementally, so would clock up a fortune in shipping, so even though in store is often a little more expensive per item it works out better for me than buying online.

I also like being able to see the exact specimen I’m buying, pick a specific one if there are multiple, and the 15 minutes from tank to tank is also nice vs shipping times and delays.

OP
OP
Sump Crab

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy almost all livestock in person unless I just can’t source otherwise - eg I got my mandarin from biota because nobody seemed to carry them locally.

I also tend to buy incrementally, so would clock up a fortune in shipping, so even though in store is often a little more expensive per item it works out better for me than buying online.

I also like being able to see the exact specimen I’m buying, pick a specific one if there are multiple, and the 15 minutes from tank to tank is also nice vs shipping times and delays.

I tend to agree with all your points but Petco has free shipping on livestock over $100 and offers a 7 day guarantee. It's hard to beat that!

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally try to buy fish and dry goods local, but often times recently, they just don’t have that special fish that I want or the price just isn’t where I feel it should be.

However I have bought from Petco online and it was direct from Quality Marine. My one LFS is often competitive to online (when shipping is calculated in) and also offers a 7 day guarantee, however their fish are a “must quarantine” status as they often have some fish that are diseased in someway. Thought I’ve heard recently they’ve started having their invert/coral free tanks maintain therapeutic levels of copper.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back