OP
Crabby48

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are cute, but be aware an anemone needs to be about 3 times the size of a single clown.

Nem is small for the clowns and I’m sure if the Nem makes it the clowns will grow faster then the Nem.
The Nem was thrown in so the family wasn’t broken during the journey to there new home. Probably wasn’t the smartest decision but I had a weak heart

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nem is small for the clowns and I’m sure if the Nem makes it the clowns will grow faster then the Nem.
The Nem was thrown in so the family wasn’t broken during the journey to there new home. Probably wasn’t the smartest decision but I had a weak heart

That is sweet. I totally get it. How could you not? Not trying to be discouraging, just watch the anemone closely as I am sure you will. Also, do not be so sure about the growing, my BTA is growing very fast.

OP
OP
Crabby48

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Nem was thrown in so the family wasn’t broken during the journey to there new home.

That is good to hear about them growing. I need the clowns to grow so I can get some flow in the tank.
I want to be able to see what color the Nem will be. It looked mostly dark with faint red at the store but looks mostly red in mine. They didn’t know what it was at the LFS. I like the mystery

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We saw 11 clowns in a tank today at a breeder. They were all about 1/8” each and super, super cute. The kids were amazed. Three of them were in a half dollar sized anemone.

OP
OP
Crabby48

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an LOL Surprise Nem ;)
In all honesty will be cool to see how it grows out.
Will also be really cool watching those little clowns interact with that tiny nem.

Thanks for hanging out here. It will be cool to see. When everyone is together it makes me happy.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NY_Caveman infant clowns in a baby Nem is the coolest thing. Wish I saw that. Can I ask where it was or is it a super secret place?

LOL, no, it was an LFS. Gill’s in Mamaroneck, NY. They do some breeding in the shop. I took a few pictures around the store. Do not know why I did not take any of that baby clown tank. Guess I was too busy enjoying the moment.

Last edited:

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll also update my build thread with all this info but here goes:
I now have two new Eheim Jager heaters and a BRS 6 stage RO/DI replacement filter kit for my tank. Bought a digital finnex heater and egg crate for my daughter's tank.
I'm on tight budget currently so I'm making a monthly item list.
Next week for February's budget I'm ordering 80lbs of rock and E-marco 400 pink mortar. Trying to decide between Nature's Ocean Base Rock or Reef Cleaners
March will be small bucket Salt, Brute can w/ lid, Red Sea test kit and Fritz turbo start 900
April will be all the plumbing, fittings etc.

As you can probably see my plan is to get the rock, aquascape, cure/cycle the rock while I collect the remaining pieces like plumbing, QT meds and possibly some King Starboard so I can go BB on this tank.
Also throwing around the idea of getting a Pentair UV from BRS.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Wow @Crabby48 I have finally caught up on your thread and wow it’s amazing. You did put some really nice details in your tank and it’s really nice.

I love your anemonie and clowns as a family that’s sooo awesome. Some things I didn’t see mentioned is bubbles tip kinda struggle in new tanks, but to help them over come that is to Make sure your water is not super clean. They like the water little bit dirty. If your going for straight sps or mixed reef like mine you have to find the balance point and it’s hard. If your staying with lps and softies I would keep the nitrates like 10ppm.

Another thing they helps is to feed it krill and twice a day. Knowing it will have enough food in this early stage is critical.

Lastly so sorry it took me to catch up on. I have been trying to catch up on several and I’m glad I found yours today. I will definitely follow along and if you need corals I can frag some. I will have to over night them since I’m in Idaho but anything to help let me know:)

Sincerely Sarah

OP
OP
Crabby48

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, no, it was an LFS. Gill’s in Mamaroneck, NY. They do some breeding in the shop. I took a few pictures around the store. Do not know why I did not take any of that baby clown tank. Guess I was too busy enjoying the moment.

I would have been way to occupied looking at the babies I wouldn’t have got pictures. Your daughter must have loved it

I'll also update my build thread with all this info but here goes:
I now have two new Eheim Jager heaters and a BRS 6 stage RO/DI replacement filter kit for my tank. Bought a digital finnex heater and egg crate for my daughter's tank.
I'm on tight budget currently so I'm making a monthly item list.
Next week for February's budget I'm ordering 80lbs of rock and E-marco 400 pink mortar. Trying to decide between Nature's Ocean Base Rock or Reef Cleaners
March will be small bucket Salt, Brute can w/ lid, Red Sea test kit and Fritz turbo start 900
April will be all the plumbing, fittings etc.

As you can probably see my plan is to get the rock, aquascape, cure/cycle the rock while I collect the remaining pieces like plumbing, QT meds and possibly some King Starboard so I can go BB on this tank.
Also throwing around the idea of getting a Pentair UV from BRS.
Sounds like you have a good plan and some nice equipment list. Smart thinking on starting the rock cycling

Hello,

Wow @Crabby48 I have finally caught up on your thread and wow it’s amazing. You did put some really nice details in your tank and it’s really nice.

I love your anemonie and clowns as a family that’s sooo awesome. Some things I didn’t see mentioned is bubbles tip kinda struggle in new tanks, but to help them over come that is to Make sure your water is not super clean. They like the water little bit dirty. If your going for straight sps or mixed reef like mine you have to find the balance point and it’s hard. If your staying with lps and softies I would keep the nitrates like 10ppm.

Another thing they helps is to feed it krill and twice a day. Knowing it will have enough food in this early stage is critical.

Lastly so sorry it took me to catch up on. I have been trying to catch up on several and I’m glad I found yours today. I will definitely follow along and if you need corals I can frag some. I will have to over night them since I’m in Idaho but anything to help let me know:)

Sincerely Sarah
Thank you for stoping by and reading my thread in your busy schedule.

I will most likely stay with softies and lps and see how that goes. My nitrates are about 10 so that part I got for now.
I will look at getting some Krill for the BTA

Thanks for all the likes

OP
OP
Crabby48

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested my water today but didn’t get to check cal or mag.
Temp 78.5
Salinity 1.026
PH 7.9 Red Sea and Hanna
NH3 0 Red Sea
NO2 0 Red Sea
NO3 10 Red Sea
PO4 3 Hanna
Alk 8.0 Hanna

The BTA opened up today and looks better then it did at the LFS. Seeing that was a good feeling.
Fed the clowns tonight after them looking for food all day. They are bit of pigs and one of them will be a little bully. They pick and choice the pieces they will eat and not eat in the LRS.
After they got a full belly the one clown went to the Nem and is hanging out. She didn’t want her boyfriend company. The BTA shrunk up when the clown dove in
0578ace657461521b86fd5e0b0e000ee.jpg

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Crabby48 good luck with the BTA . TOTAL ROOKIE MOVE. Same as the rest of us. :). As I have matured as a hobbyist I just found ways to get that thrill without putting animals lives at risk. I get a true thrill out of setting up new QT now. Fingers crossed for you.

OP
OP
Crabby48

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Victoria M hope you the pain is getting better.
Yes it was a rookie move adding the BTA but I do have help from the LFS owner monitoring water parameters and updates how it’s doing. Nobody is looking to loose a living animal. I’m not trying to justify my actions but there is a couple people there to help.

OP
OP
Crabby48

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns and Nem is looking happy and good. The bigger of the clowns plays in the Nem or hangs out on the side of the tank close to the Nem. The smaller clown chases his reflection all day and night in till room and tank lights are off.
One clown will eat from tweezers and the shrimp will take a bigger chunk of LRS from the coral feeder.

Now that there is food going in the tank there is a lot of brown spots covering rocks and sand. It appears a little stringy.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back