Just added my inverts!!

marcopolo204

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 gallon tank. 6 blue and 6 red hermits. 1 strawberry conch, 20 Astrea snails, 4 turbo snail and one emerald crab. He is King crab of the castle!! I shall call him Kingler![emoji222] [emoji41]
20190418_024409.jpeg
20190418_020821.jpeg
20190418_020807.jpeg
20190418_013201.jpeg
20190417_215041.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope there is enough food in there for all those guys. I'd let one glass panel go uncleaned so the diatoms grow and the snails can go there to eat if they need to. Also consider feeding nori on a clip down near the rock (even on the sand) for the emerald crab. I find they frequently starve in clean aquariums.

The tank looks great. Good luck. And welcome to R2R.
welcome 2.jpg

OP
OP
marcopolo204

marcopolo204

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope there is enough food in there for all those guys. I'd let one glass panel go uncleaned so the diatoms grow and the snails can go there to eat if they need to. Also consider feeding nori on a clip down near the rock (even on the sand) for the emerald crab. I find they frequently starve in clean aquariums.

The tank looks great. Good luck. And welcome to R2R.
welcome 2.jpg
Thanks for the tips I got tons of red Algae on one rock but yeah when that's don then what. Will be picking up nori soon.

absowry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips I got tons of red Algae on one rock but yeah when that's don then what. Will be picking up nori soon.
In my experience nothing I have cuc wise eats the red cyanobacteria. Also keep an eye on the astrae snails as they can get knocked over and not right themselves. I have one surviving out of five I put in. Never again.

OP
OP
marcopolo204

marcopolo204

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience nothing I have cuc wise eats the red cyanobacteria. Also keep an eye on the astrae snails as they can get knocked over and not right themselves. I have one surviving out of five I put in. Never again.
I've read differently. We will have to agree. And yes I agree the Astrea sure arnt the brightest especially when they climb on eachother and flip eachother over‍♂️

absowry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read differently. We will have to agree. And yes I agree the Astrea sure arnt the brightest especially when they climb on eachother and flip eachother over‍[emoji3603]
Just my experience for sure. Hopefully yours is better. I also have an emerald crab that would rather eat my galaxea frag than algae so it may just be the ancient indian burial ground my house is built on.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't know which marcopolo has in the tank, but there are several different red algae and then there is cyano bacteria which is not algae at all but a colony of bacteria.

It's possible some of the CUC may help with the red algae, but I seriously doubt that any CUC will do any good against cyano bacteria.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read differently. ...................

Interesting...Would you share what type of CUC will consume cyanobacteria please?

The only avenues without harsh chemicals I know of are to utilize clean water and cut back on feedings and increase flow as Cynobacteria lives off decaying organics. When organics are left undisturbed long enough the cyano can become a potential issue to deal with.

The 'root' cause is you have cyano exists for a reason(s). Chemicals such as Chemi-Clean will kill it off temporarily but it is kind of a band-aid and come back. Dead cyano becomes decaying organic material as well, so the chemical compound is not always a good choice in the long run.

Water changes....and water changes will significantly improve the issue. Are your nitrates or phosphates in the elevated in your tank?

Stop feeding daily and try feeding everyother day approach if not doing so already.

Lighting and flow are biggies as well...Your lighting spectrums may be burning out or run at high intensity. As the spectrums fail lesser or even too many organisms can thrive.

JMHO and a bit of IME.

OP
OP
marcopolo204

marcopolo204

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting...Would you share what type of CUC will consume cyanobacteria please?

The only avenues without harsh chemicals I know of are to utilize clean water and cut back on feedings and increase flow as Cynobacteria lives off decaying organics. When organics are left undisturbed long enough the cyano can become a potential issue to deal with.

The 'root' cause is you have cyano exists for a reason(s). Chemicals such as Chemi-Clean will kill it off temporarily but it is kind of a band-aid and come back. Dead cyano becomes decaying organic material as well, so the chemical compound is not always a good choice in the long run.

Water changes....and water changes will significantly improve the issue. Are your nitrates or phosphates in the elevated in your tank?

Stop feeding daily and try feeding everyother day approach if not doing so already.

Lighting and flow are biggies as well...Your lighting spectrums may be burning out or run at high intensity. As the spectrums fail lesser or even too many organisms can thrive.

JMHO and a bit of IME.
Red hair algae I believe which emerald crabs supposedly love. I'll send pics when I get home

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red hair algae I believe which emerald crabs supposedly love. I'll send pics when I get home

Yes...somewhere in the thread I inferred you had cyanobacteria and not red/green algae.

Quite a difference which I understand. Thanks for the clarification on being algae and not cyano.

Back