Just Asking, Keep 6-Bulb ATI SunPower or Swap with 2 x ViparSpectra 300W

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I'm gonna get flamed on this one...BUT

Should I Keep 6-Bulb ATI SunPower or Swap with 2 x ViparSpectra 300Ws?

I know this might seem like a dumb question but here's the story.

I have 2 ViparSpectra 300W's from a tank I had to take down due to COVID. (No need for an office tank when I ain't going to the office anymore!)

I have a 6-Bulb SunPower running over a standard 6' 125g display at home.

I'm just starting to acro-up my tank (I've picked up 12 nice frags from Coral Euporia and Cultivated Reef ) and added 3 clams from Pacific East.

I think the T5's just cut it in terms of PAR BUT I'd rather have a little too much PAR and have to throttle it back by raising the light or reducing photo period then be caught out with too little.

So, I was thinking of boosting my PAR by adding 2 LumenBars from ReefBreeders for about $400.

But then I thought to myself, I already have the ViparSpectra's and why keep investing in a dying technology.

Will I even be able to buy T5's in a few years?

Maybe I should just make the switch to LED's now and save the $400.

What would you do?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5s arent dying. LEDs are the new in style lighting but that wont last. T5s will continue to out perform LEDs ad infinitum.

Adding LED bars is the way to go! LED is great for showing color and that shimmer, but growth T5s win. Best of both is T5 primary with LED supplementation IMO. (Not considering MH of course.)

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5s arent dying. LEDs are the new in style lighting but that wont last. T5s will continue to out perform LEDs ad infinitum.

Adding LED bars is the way to go! LED is great for showing color and that shimmer, but growth T5s win. Best of both is T5 primary with LED supplementation IMO. (Not considering MH of course.)
Hmmm...

Do you think they'll stop manufacturing T5's in the next 5 years?

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmmm...

No way, ATI sells tens of thousands a year. You really think they are going to give that up? They even recently said almost those exact words on this site, pretty sure its in the thread about there new ATI LED Straton...

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm...

No t5s will be around as long as this hobby is around, leds are going to hit a recession and T5 will still be booming

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This must be the first time I have ever heard someone be concerned about a Sunpower not having enough par. That is like wondering if the water is wet enough.
You mean there is a way I can make my water wetter?

Do you think that will irritate the clams?

Where can I can get it and how much does it cost?

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This must be the first time I have ever heard someone be concerned about a Sunpower not having enough par. That is like wondering if the water is wet enough.

"Clams can be kept under other types of lighting such as T-5 fluorescent but these are not optimum and would require many bulbs to provide sufficient intensity." Dr. MaC Pacific East

Just sayin'

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you got high end acropora I don’t suggest using viparspectra, they won’t reflect the color as nicely compare to ATI+Led bar. If you are growing something like green slimer red planet feel free to do so lol

I saw people growing acropora successfully under a 18 inch tank with a 6 bulb ATI , but I don’t know if it’s enough for a 125 gallon

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

"That’s in the tropics. If you guessed that it means you’ll need a bigger light for your aquarium, you guessed right. Put it this way: If it’s bright enough to grow acros, then it might be bright enough for a maxima clam. If it’s not sufficient for an acro, there’s no way it’ll keep a maxima alive for long. Don’t try to push your luck here, because lighting is one area where this species is definitely not forgiving.

Putting you clam close to the surface might help a bit, but in the end, if you don’t have the right (super intense) lighting, your clam is toast. Extending the photoperiod? That will practically do nothing to help."

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 is being heavily regulated in Europe (where ATI is made), and will likely be outlawed entirely... can't imagine the US will be far behind.

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you got high end acropora I don’t suggest using viparspectra, they won’t reflect the color as nicely compare to ATI+Led bar. If you are growing something like green slimer red planet feel free to do so lol

I saw people growing acropora successfully under a 18 inch tank with a 6 bulb ATI , but I don’t know if it’s enough for a 125 gallon
Yeah, I don't have super high end acros, yet. No "lady killer" or "super crusher" yet. Just some slimers, red planets, etc...trying not to start in over my head. The 125g is about 23"

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 is being heavily regulated in Europe (where ATI is made), and will likely be outlawed entirely... can't imagine the US will be far behind.
Yeah, I just wonder what the timeframe is. It might be like 2035 or 2050 or 2022.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

"Clams can be kept under other types of lighting such as T-5 fluorescent but these are not optimum and would require many bulbs to provide sufficient intensity." Dr. MaC Pacific East

Just sayin'

"That’s in the tropics. If you guessed that it means you’ll need a bigger light for your aquarium, you guessed right. Put it this way: If it’s bright enough to grow acros, then it might be bright enough for a maxima clam. If it’s not sufficient for an acro, there’s no way it’ll keep a maxima alive for long. Don’t try to push your luck here, because lighting is one area where this species is definitely not forgiving.

Putting you clam close to the surface might help a bit, but in the end, if you don’t have the right (super intense) lighting, your clam is toast. Extending the photoperiod? That will practically do nothing to help."

The better alternative is MH not LED.

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No t5s will be around as long as this hobby is around, leds are going to hit a recession and T5 will still be booming
I kind of hope you're right. I love advances. I hate change.

reef_ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thought of LEDs being new and not lasting is nonsense. I have the Viparspectra 300w model, and it is plenty sufficient to grow anything. There is a thread here in the forums for the 165w version, they are quite successful.

The difference is going to come down to personal preference, some folks like the look of T5s better. I have to agree with that a bit. And I doubt T5s are going anywhere anytime too.

If you already have the Viparspectras, I say put up 'em up and see how you like them. Personally, I'd easily by mine again.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back