Just bought 2 clownfish

reefnotbeef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my goal was to pair two clownfish in my 20g. I went to my LFS and bought an entire set up. 3 weeks later I have them test my water and they give me the green light to stock it up. I chose these two clownfish to pair from the same tank and they got bagged. They were aware of my setup and goals.
Now I am wondering if these two will actually pair since they are different species? If they won’t pair, do I have to give a fish up? I don’t want one to kill the other.

88EA0299-A15C-4319-9C3C-35A53231B02C.jpeg 83289BE3-0620-4C69-969F-E5B2826B092E.jpeg

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gosh I am terrible at IDing designer clownfish.

Anyways, a lot of the designer clownfish are just different color and pattern morphs of the same species, the ocellaris clownfish, so they can breed. There are also designer percula clownfish, which unfortunately I can't tell apart from ocellaris. No matter though, percula and ocellaris can crossbreed too.

So either way, no need to worry.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! You should be able to tell by now. They'll either hate each other or stay side by side. There may be a little fighting along the way but it's normal. If it gets worse then you'll have to visit other options.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back