OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience but I do love the look, hopefully someone with one will chime in.
My biggest concern would be flow and maintenance. Could probably get a couple tunze 6105 and aim them down to take away dead spots. Would probably do bare bottom on the drop off and sand on the top main section.

Edit
Or i could get some of those tunze stream rocks to hide in the scape at the bottom.

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well today is the day, I placed my order Midwest custom aquariums. Has about a 12 week lead time on the tank so should be plenty of time for me to finish prepping the basement. Very excited to say the least!

Ended up going 96x30x26. Went a little taller to make up for the space lost with the sand bed. It’s going to have an external over flow prepped with 3 1” drains, 2 3/4” returns, and 2 panels blacked out. The over flow is going to be on the end on one of the 30” panels. I want to try and the opposite panel of that clear so you can see down the entire tank.

Will probably keep updates coming on the basement and the fish room but very excited the tank is finally ordered.

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feels good to have the basement done. Going to take a few weekends off then start the fish room and stand for the tank. Have until May for the tank to get here so have a little bit of time to get ready for it.

Attachments

• IMG_0960.jpeg
    IMG_0960.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0961.jpeg
    IMG_0961.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0962.jpeg
    IMG_0962.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basement Thread Update!

Got the couch down and built over the weekend. Not sure if anyone else has used home reserve before but this was like a big jig saw puzzle. The frame is made out of OSB and each section needs to be built and then you put the covers on. Needs to be broken in but waaaaay better than sitting on the floor to watch the new tv.

Wife made a hobby lobby trip too and got some decorations. Shes mentally preparing for the tank. Decided to hold off on the stand and everything until we get the tank so we can make sure everything will fit properly. We're not in a huge rush to get it up and running, want to enjoy the ride before we get to the destination.

Attachments

• IMG_1003.jpg
    IMG_1003.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1004.jpg
    IMG_1004.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1002.jpg
    IMG_1002.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the tank shipped today, nowhere near ready. May have gotten the cart in front of the horse a little bit. Oh well now I'll have a goal to finish everything else. Haven't made any progress on the fish room or stand. Pressure tank went out on the house so needed to replace that then the softener stopped work so had to replace that as well. I did install 2 house filters though, a bigger sediment filter right after the well into the house and a smaller filter after the softener, so hopefully that helps make my RODI filters last longer.

Going on vacation at the end of the month so will probably pick up the tank project when I get back. Hopefully I'll be done with the project I'm currently on and on to a different one that's less time consuming by end of May.

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was the big day, got the tank in the basement. Didn’t get a lot of pictures as it was pretty hectic getting everything ready. Started the morning off with removing the wall by the stairs and building some ramps out of 2x6. It wasn’t as bad getting it in the basement as I thought. Had some furniture Dollie’s strapped under the tank and just rolled it down the stairs. Only tricky part was the lift over the ledge and when we got to the bottom of the stairs, bottomed out for a little bit but we got it. Thanks to the help of my brother my wife and my mom, me and my brother on the bottom of the tank and the girls steering from the top. Dogs pretty tired too from the move.

It’s currently sitting on a couple 2x6 in the side of our basement until I get the stand and the fish room ready. Definitely exited to get this project going but want to pace myself and enjoy the ride. This is probably going to be my last tank for a long time.

Final dimensions are 96” long plus 5” for the external overflow x 30” deep x 26” tall. Also had them black out the back panel and the panel with the over flow on it.

Attachments

• IMG_1067.jpeg
    IMG_1067.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1066.jpeg
    IMG_1066.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1065.jpeg
    IMG_1065.jpeg
    210.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1064.jpeg
    IMG_1064.jpeg
    207 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1063.jpeg
    IMG_1063.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1068.jpeg
    IMG_1068.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 3

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back