Just getting back into saltwater; Fluval 13.5

Yeah I'm not using any chems. Thanks for the advice though. This is my first "reef" tank and it's taken a little getting used too.
It's not chemicals, it's bacteria. BulkReefSupply did a great video detailing its results in cleaning up algae!
 
Keep it up man , I battle Dino’s to and I’m also on my first tank. You are doing the same approach that I did with zero chemicals , I think it’s the most effective way to deal. It does depend on the species , I had osteo Dino’s so I kept elevated nitrate / phosphate and dosed phyto and eventually it went away I also stopped water changes during the battle as it made them bloom
 
Did a five day almost black out. The dinos are gone and saved the other corals. I did loose the frogspawn that appeared to have the dreaded BJD and the acropora that was given to us due to no light imagine. Still have diatoms but instead of trying to strip them with chems and skimmer I will keep dosing phyto and pods and make a couple other changes to the routine. Everything is alive, but a couple of out zoa's colonies still seem moody.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20211216_161342225.jpg
    IMG_20211216_161342225.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20211216_161342225.jpg
    IMG_20211216_161342225.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 16397123134533164918724326705237.jpg
    16397123134533164918724326705237.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 73
So whatever killed the frogspawn is slowly killing the hammer coral. Everything else seems fine, and fish are happy, but I will have to figure something else out before I add another euphylia. I just put in an intake chamber 1 basket, floss, then my small bag of bio media that came with the tank, and bag of carbon in the second shelf, and my bag full of bio tubes went into the third camber. I was toying with the idea of leaving the foam in the second chamber since it is now empty and there should be lots of good bacteria in it. Any suggestions?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new