Just got stung by my Volitan and I figured I would say Hello

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time lurker and recent member. I recently had a total knee replacement so I have watched as many BRS videos as possible. Love those guys. I was just cleaning my tank and thought the volitan was on the other side when I stuck my hand in. Didn't go well but not the first time. Looks like I'll be on benadryl and ibuprofen for the day.

I have been a reefer since the mid 90's and a nerd all my life. Journeyman Patternmaker, Machinist, Mechanical, Electrical, And Software engineer.

My first tank was a 150g plumbed through the floor with 55 gallon drums for a wet/dry system, Sump and 3 drums for anaerobic digestion. It was successful and sold with the house. Been experimenting ever since. I have researched lighting and anaerobics for years and am looking to add to my toolbox of knowledge.

My current tank is an ongoing experiment. 72g bowfront with fiberglass sculpted background and a center refugium for growing pods.

SMTank.jpg

Not glorious but it's a test tank for lighting and anaerobics. I still haven't been able to talk the wife into a 200g livingroom peninsula but she loves the critters when she comes into my office. I'm getting close to convincing her.

OP
OP
FBAA

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting looking tank! Lights look.. lacking haha. What lights are you running?
I am running Popbloom lights right now and experimenting with the spectrum. Their PCB's are solid so I replace the LED's with the spectrum I want. The pic is from a month ago and I have added 2 more to get par up to where it should be. I know I can buy a radion etc. but I can't change out the LED's as easily on those.

OP
OP
FBAA

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add this to my post. I grow pods to feed the fish. I have 1" of fine sand and have covered it with snail shells. This gives the pods a place to hide and reproduce so the fish can't pick the population clean. This tank has been in my office for 9 years. I use carbon but only do a 25% water change every year. Behind the fiberglass structure are overflow intakes and a refugium. The fiberglass is embedded with aragonite and cured. There are 2 anaerobic chambers to reduce nitrates directly under the overflows.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time lurker and recent member. I recently had a total knee replacement so I have watched as many BRS videos as possible. Love those guys. I was just cleaning my tank and thought the volitan was on the other side when I stuck my hand in. Didn't go well but not the first time. Looks like I'll be on benadryl and ibuprofen for the day.

I have been a reefer since the mid 90's and a nerd all my life. Journeyman Patternmaker, Machinist, Mechanical, Electrical, And Software engineer.

My first tank was a 150g plumbed through the floor with 55 gallon drums for a wet/dry system, Sump and 3 drums for anaerobic digestion. It was successful and sold with the house. Been experimenting ever since. I have researched lighting and anaerobics for years and am looking to add to my toolbox of knowledge.

My current tank is an ongoing experiment. 72g bowfront with fiberglass sculpted background and a center refugium for growing pods.

SMTank.jpg

Not glorious but it's a test tank for lighting and anaerobics. I still haven't been able to talk the wife into a 200g livingroom peninsula but she loves the critters when she comes into my office. I'm getting close to convincing her.
Welcome!

Sorry your lion fish got you. Thanks for sharing your info & look forward to learning more. Glad you joined

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Sorry your lion fish got you. Thanks for sharing your info & look forward to learning more. Glad you joined
Love your tank design. You carry a fascinating wealth of knowledge as well. Thank you so much for saying Hello, Fish Think Pink!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 52.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.1%
Back