Just noticed ochre-striped cardinal with mouth brood

Ryengoth

I wish I was in St John USVI
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 of these adult cardinals. First mouth brooding fish I've kept and he's the larges of all 3. Any breeding tips? I have bangaiis and azure damselfish that would love a snack so would like to isolate but gonna be tough to manage without stressing the fish. The eggs are fairly pink at this point based on what I can see when he adjusts the egg bundle so it looks like a new brood.

GSmQDvV.jpg

D0L0F2l.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome! I've got no tips, but hopefully others will weigh in. [HASHTAG]#reefsquad[/HASHTAG]

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if ochre stripes do the same, but bangaii cardinals will try to spit the hatchlings out into a long spine urchin at night. Some have fashioned 'dummy urchins' out of kebab skewers.

OP
OP
Ryengoth

Ryengoth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like most of the cardinals prefer a long-spine urchin as a release harbor. Looks I also need baby brine to feed and I'm probably too close to hatching to start that now. Any other options for feeding?

OP
OP
Ryengoth

Ryengoth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decapped eggs, rotifer cysts and brine eggs on order along with a hatching cone set. At least one of them will work.

The fake urchin is done. Had to weight the silicone block down for now. Hopefully the bamboo will absorb enough water to make it neutrally buoyant.

KZ43SNf.jpg

OP
OP
Ryengoth

Ryengoth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he's no longer carrying and is eating now but I don't see fry. Either he ate the eggs, the reef consumed the fry or they are hiding in the rock structure somewhere.
I noticed, tonight, that one of the bangaii has a faded tail and then realized he has a bulging jaw pallet as well so possibly another brood from a different species of cardinal
I also captured a bristle worm sneaking out for a snack and was tempted to snag him but too late to risk a rock slide tonight. My poor pink birdsnest has taken a beating from mountain slides the past couple of weeks. LOL

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's coolE="Ryengoth, post: 2940628, member: 55364"]I have decapped eggs, rotifer cysts and brine eggs on order along with a hatching cone set. At least one of them will work.

The fake urchin is done. Had to weight the silicone block down for now. Hopefully the bamboo will absorb enough water to make it neutrally buoyant.

KZ43SNf.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Thats

chad vossen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The babies from this species are going to be larvae. Only the banggai cardinal releases fully developed babies. Raising this species will require live rotifers for sure. Very much like raising clownfish. Collecting the larvae will be a challenge. You can put the male in a separate tank where you'll raise the fry (remove him after fry are released). You can also use a larval trap at night to capture the larvae (easiest method).

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The babies from this species are going to be larvae. Only the banggai cardinal releases fully developed babies. Raising this species will require live rotifers for sure. Very much like raising clownfish. Collecting the larvae will be a challenge. You can put the male in a separate tank where you'll raise the fry (remove him after fry are released). You can also use a larval trap at night to capture the larvae (easiest method).
^Trust this guy, he'll know.

OP
OP
Ryengoth

Ryengoth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's got another bulging jaw and stopped eating so must be another brood. I may try putting him in the acclimator box in the DT. If I can catch him.

OP
OP
Ryengoth

Ryengoth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I tricked him into going into the box, but he was not very happy with me lifting it up and blocking his exit.. he spit out the eggs.

B4IoU2d.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back