Just ordered my Innovative Marine 25 Lagoon

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking at the Jager heaters but from all the posts I seen the Jager is too tall for this tank. What heaters are others using with this tank? Decided on the AI Prime HD for this tank which from my research should be plenty of light for most corals but always have the option of adding another AI Prime if need be which is nice. How are the AI Nero 3s on this tank? The reviews are solid and I really like the looks of them as well. Would I need more than one? For saltwater I’ll probably do LFS at first until I can get a good 5 or 6 stage RODI as my water quality in my condo is so bad I have to drink bottled water. Tap water is actually foul to even drink for humans so it’ll play hell on a RODI system without enough filtration. I see PETCO also sells saltwater premixed by Imaginatarium, has anyone had luck with this? The only LFS I know in the area that sells premixed saltwater charges $1.25 a gallon for instant ocean saltwater and $1.75 for Red Sea mixed water. I bought the book suggested by another user, Saltwater Fish and Reef Tanks: From Beginner to Expert and have been reading it since I got it on Kindle today. My tank hasn’t even came in yet but I want to take my time and only buy things once instead of having to purchase something that doesn’t work the way it should and having to repurchase it later. As for the heater I keep my home at a constant 70-72 degrees as the Axolotls like it could and truth be told so do I. So I think 100watts should be sufficient but it appears most 100watt heaters are too tall for the small chambers in the sump of the Lagoon. Thanks everyone for all the help.

cconnolly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the Cobalt NeoTherm heaters and they are super slim and small. They fit great in the return chamber. I’ve got a InTank fuge and protein skimmer in the other 2 rear chambers and the InTank basket to hold filter floss and bioblocks in the overflow chambers. So far so good.

I can’t speak for the Nero 3 but I have a single MP10 that is tuned way down and keeps the water flowing very well.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the Cobalt NeoTherm heaters and they are super slim and small. They fit great in the return chamber. I’ve got a InTank fuge and protein skimmer in the other 2 rear chambers and the InTank basket to hold filter floss and bioblocks in the overflow chambers. So far so good.

I can’t speak for the Nero 3 but I have a single MP10 that is tuned way down and keeps the water flowing very well.
How reliable is the NeoTherm heaters? I’ve read a lot of negative reviews on them breaking and being stuck open. Also what wattage heater are you using and what is your home’s thermostat usually set at?

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the petco pre-set heaters, but I run them on an Inkbird controller that I have calibrated using a NIST digital thermometer. It keeps the temp range I have selected quite well - has not drifted at all in well over a year. I may upgrade to a titanium heating element and a ranco controller at some point though.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The IM heaters are REALLY SMALL which is super nice in an AIO.
Yeah that’s what I’m gonna go with I decided. The controller looks nice and all the reviews for it are great. Thanks for your help! The length is tiny too which allows for more room for media, skimmer etc

cconnolly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How reliable is the NeoTherm heaters? I’ve read a lot of negative reviews on them breaking and being stuck open. Also what wattage heater are you using and what is your home’s thermostat usually set at?
I’ve had no issues and am happy with them. I run one standalone in my BioCube and I have a pair hooked to an InkBird in the IM 25.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nero 3 was in my 12 gallons Evo (at low speed) and it was fine. Now it’s in my 75 gallons, at higher speed, with a Nero 5 and still doing a good job.

I really like the Neros as they are completely customable.

The only think that would deserve improving, in my opinion, is the « feed » option, which should turn the pumps completely off but keeps them at low speed.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nero 3 was in my 12 gallons Evo (at low speed) and it was fine. Now it’s in my 75 gallons, at higher speed, with a Nero 5 and still doing a good job.

I really like the Neros as they are completely customable.
Would one Nero 3 be enough for a 25 Lagoon in your opinion?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would one Nero 3 be enough for a 25 Lagoon in your opinion?
It depends on what you want to do. Just for movement, yes, it’s a strong pump even though it’s small.

But if you want to create alternating currents, then it would be interesting to have two, at lower speed. Or just get a second cheaper pump and set it in front of the Nero (still think two Nero is best for more flexibility though if you can afford it).

personwafish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank i’m sure you’ll love it, I currently use an Aquatop 100W titanium heater With the stock media basket, However I dont run the filter socks anymore they’re simply too expensive

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank i’m sure you’ll love it, I currently use an Aquatop 100W titanium heater With the stock media basket, However I dont run the filter socks anymore they’re simply too expensive
I’m really excited. It will be here Jan 6th according to UPS. Not in a rush to set it up as I want to take my time and do it right but excited nonetheless

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need 2 to keep SPS. 1 will work fine for everything else.
SPS will probably way way later as I’m still brand new to saltwater so that’s perfect. Is a power head essential for the cycling of the tank or will the stock filter be sufficient until I add livestock?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a power head essential for the cycling of the tank or will the stock filter be sufficient until I add livestock?
It’s not essential but good water oxygenation helps speed up the cycling process. If you can aim the outlet towards the surface and create good movement it will be okay.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the general recommendation for cycling, get a light or no light for cycling? Settled on the AI Prime but was also curious about the RedSea 50

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back