Just Spotted signs of Ich/UV WORKS WITH YOU POLYPLAB MED

SAM2023

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich treatment with higher power Uv and polyplab medic:

I had couple of corals added to the tank around July 4th. A week after, I see some emerging small countable bumps on 3 fish (the 9-inch queen angel, the 5-inch hippo tang & 7.5-inch emperor angel). This is not Lymphocytosis (I wish it was as it is very less fatal). I will rule Velvet out too as these 3 and all other fish are moving around and eating. It is most likely Ich. In the past when this had happened, I have done the full-blown keeping DT fallow for 10 weeks, moving all fish to quarantine with copper regime and ultimately lost 75% of fish NOT due to ich but due to stress caused by moving them/copper/ammonia build up in the QT as it wasn’t big enough etc. That time I decided to quarantine each new fish but unfortunately, I missed to do that with these new corals as the corals was in a separate fallow system as per the supplier. I have 2 questions noted below:

1) I started PolypLab Medic a day ago & will continue to do so for 20 days. Has anyone used PolylpLab Medic and seen it succeed when you already see a couple of fish with some spots?

2) I have seen a youtube video from Gallery Aquatica TV, where they show that they treated ich with a XXL 150 W UV sterilizer added to the tank for 6 weeks. I am thinking of taking this route with a 57W UV in addition to my 25 W existing UV.

Any related suggestions/comments or successes with this route ?

My current Tank profile:

Fish- Angels, tangs, foxface, clown fish, trigger, wrasse

Coral/Anemone - Yuma, Riccorda, GSP, Rainbow tip anemones

Waterbox Total Water Vol. about 150G

Protein Skimmer

Acqua 25 Watt UV (just replaced the bulb a day ago even if prior once seemed to be working 7 & is only 9 months old)

IceCap Algae Scrubber: Added a week ago (as my Nitrate was high)

PH: 8.2

Temp 80 F

Salinity 1.023

Ammonia and Nitrite: 0.00

Nitrate: High 120 -140 PPM

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ich treatment with higher power Uv and polyplab medic:

I had couple of corals added to the tank around July 4th. A week after, I see some emerging small countable bumps on 3 fish (the 9-inch queen angel, the 5-inch hippo tang & 7.5-inch emperor angel). This is not Lymphocytosis (I wish it was as it is very less fatal). I will rule Velvet out too as these 3 and all other fish are moving around and eating. It is most likely Ich. In the past when this had happened, I have done the full-blown keeping DT fallow for 10 weeks, moving all fish to quarantine with copper regime and ultimately lost 75% of fish NOT due to ich but due to stress caused by moving them/copper/ammonia build up in the QT as it wasn’t big enough etc. That time I decided to quarantine each new fish but unfortunately, I missed to do that with these new corals as the corals was in a separate fallow system as per the supplier. I have 2 questions noted below:

1) I started PolypLab Medic a day ago & will continue to do so for 20 days. Has anyone used PolylpLab Medic and seen it succeed when you already see a couple of fish with some spots?

2) I have seen a youtube video from Gallery Aquatica TV, where they show that they treated ich with a XXL 150 W UV sterilizer added to the tank for 6 weeks. I am thinking of taking this route with a 57W UV in addition to my 25 W existing UV.

Any related suggestions/comments or successes with this route ?

My current Tank profile:

Fish- Angels, tangs, foxface, clown fish, trigger, wrasse

Coral/Anemone - Yuma, Riccorda, GSP, Rainbow tip anemones

Waterbox Total Water Vol. about 150G

Protein Skimmer

Acqua 25 Watt UV (just replaced the bulb a day ago even if prior once seemed to be working 7 & is only 9 months old)

IceCap Algae Scrubber: Added a week ago (as my Nitrate was high)

PH: 8.2

Temp 80 F

Salinity 1.023

Ammonia and Nitrite: 0.00

Nitrate: High 120 -140 PPM
Ive used polyp medic and find it best with velvet- not so much with ich as its peroxide based salts. bestand effective treatment is to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
look up peroxide dosing. There is huge success with h2o2 dosing with uv. You are basically using an oxidizer to bind with the free swimmers and kill them. Polyp medic is a version of this.

I am currently h2o2 dosing for an ick spot that showed up with success

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
look up peroxide dosing. There is huge success with h2o2 dosing with uv. You are basically using an oxidizer to bind with the free swimmers and kill them. Polyp medic is a version of this.

Polyp Lab is peroxide which has impact on velvet and brook - Not ich. UV addresses what passes through the channel/tube and peroxide does not force cells into the unit- what is free floating is what will be addressed

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

On the bottle instructions, it specifically states NOT to use UV within an hour of dosing. The usual dose is 10 days - but the maximum is 20 days as you're doing.

The key word in your paragraph is an XXL 150 W UV sterilizer. I do not think a 57 watt will make a huge difference. The key is getting the parasites exposed to a high dose of UV - in other words having 1 x 150 watt UV is not the same as having 3 x 50 watts. The concentration in the 150 watt UV will be much higher.

Though anecdotally I've heard success - there are also people who do not treatment at all and have success. It depends IMHO on your bio load, susceptibility of the fish, health the fish, type of the fish. Also - ensuring that the diagnosis is actually Ich is important.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You should not use any peroxides with UV. In the presence of light (the UV light from the sun catalyzes the reaction), H2O2 spontaneously decomposes into water and oxygen.

Jay

OP
OP
S

SAM2023

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should not use any peroxides with UV. In the presence of light (the UV light from the sun catalyzes the reaction), H2O2 spontaneously decomposes into water and oxygen.

Jay
Hi, I keep UV off for an hour after dosing Polyplab medic (as per their instructions)
That should work right ?

OP
OP
S

SAM2023

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the bottle instructions, it specifically states NOT to use UV within an hour of dosing. The usual dose is 10 days - but the maximum is 20 days as you're doing.

The key word in your paragraph is an XXL 150 W UV sterilizer. I do not think a 57 watt will make a huge difference. The key is getting the parasites exposed to a high dose of UV - in other words having 1 x 150 watt UV is not the same as having 3 x 50 watts. The concentration in the 150 watt UV will be much higher.

Though anecdotally I've heard success - there are also people who do not treatment at all and have success. It depends IMHO on your bio load, susceptibility of the fish, health the fish, type of the fish. Also - ensuring that the diagnosis is actually Ich is important.
The largest I can get my hands on quickly is a 57W UV. I hear you though, I’ll try to get a larger one, or May be get 2 50 Watts and run my existing 50 Watts In series with the two 50 watts. This will give more exposure time but the intensity won’t be high. Is that making sense ?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The largest I can get my hands on quickly is a 57W UV. I hear you though, I’ll try to get a larger one, or May be get 2 50 Watts and run my existing 50 Watts In series with the two 50 watts. This will give more exposure time but the intensity won’t be high. Is that making sense ?
Yes. it makes sense - the intensity is the important thing (and the duration)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I keep UV off for an hour after dosing Polyplab medic (as per their instructions)
That should work right ?

I know that's what they say, but logically, I think they are hedging their bets - their medication is going to get broken down pretty quickly after you turn on the UV, but they know that the UV helps....seems like an expensive way to turn Polyp Lab medic into water and oxygen (grin).

Jay

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back