Not sure if this is Ich anymore

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 #fishmedic

Got a purple tang. After a week, guess what? Ich. It has been over a week and still treating and still has it.
I cannot get everything out of that tank without breaking down the whole thing. Purple is the only one that has it. I am starting to lose coral from treating the tank so much.
I have used Kich Ich, Rally and Poly Lab Medic, feeding a ton of Nori, selecon, metro, you name it. No UV. Purple is still eating and swimming like a champ. At least one of us is handling it well.
However, a couple of people that saw him said it doesn't look like ich? No other fish have any signs of anything.

20240304_091131.jpg Screenshot_20240304_132550_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20240304_132616_Gallery.jpg IN LIGHT.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Got a purple tang. After a week, guess what? Ich. It has been over a week and still treating and still has it.
I cannot get everything out of that tank without breaking down the whole thing. Purple is the only one that has it. I am starting to lose coral from treating the tank so much.
I have used Kich Ich, Rally and Poly Lab Medic, feeding a ton of Nori, selecon, metro, you name it. No UV. Purple is still eating and swimming like a champ. At least one of us is handling it well.
However, a couple of people that saw him said it doesn't look like ich? No other fish have any signs of anything.

20240304_091131.jpg Screenshot_20240304_132550_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20240304_132616_Gallery.jpg IN LIGHT.jpg
Looks like mucus plugs mixed in with ich
All three meds mentioned are ineffective and you will want to do a water change and switch to coppersafe for a full 30 days at treatment level 2.5 monitored by a reliable test kit such as Hanna brand
Add aeration with air stone and monitor ammonia level also

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That looks like ich does after the infection has been going on awhile. There could also be some mucus plugs in the mix.

The three in tank remedies you are trying all have a poor track record for treating moderate to severe ich infections.

You might get away with pulling this fish and then going with ich management for the rest of them.

Jay

OP
OP
Kathy Floyd

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That looks like ich does after the infection has been going on awhile. There could also be some mucus plugs in the mix.

The three in tank remedies you are trying all have a poor track record for treating moderate to severe ich infections.

You might get away with pulling this fish and then going with ich management for the rest of them.

Jay
Thanks. The link on ich management is way over my head.
What do I need to do to treat the purple?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. The link on ich management is way over my head.
What do I need to do to treat the purple?

The two most effective treatments would either be coppersafe at 2.25 ppm, or hyposalinity at a specific gravity of 1.009 - both done for 30 days. Neither of these can be done in the presence of invertebrates though.

My concern is that eventually, the ich theronts coming off the purple tang will overwhelm the other fish's ability to stay healthy, and you will see more symptoms in them.

I went back and looked carefully at the pictures again - it still looks like ich to me, but maybe if you posted a clear video I could see better. The issue is that if this is ONLY mucus plugs, you won't need to treat it. Given the short time you've had the fish, and the presence of smaller spots, I think it also has ich, but maybe not?

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back