OP
OP
NervousReefer

NervousReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically do 10% every 2 weeks. I prefer smaller more frequent water changes over one large one per month.
Ok thanks, one more question. I made a batch of saltwater wayyy in advance , i think it may have been sitting too long, does that stuff go bad after a certain point or lose its trace elements?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
water change is sufficient and replaces/adds the very elements you are looking to maintain

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a new tank (post cycled) the only thing you really need to watch is alk and maybe nitrate. Water changes should handle Ca and Mag. If you want the levels higher switch to Reef Crystals for awhile.

Alk can be extremely volatile in a new tank because it's gobbled up by all kinds of establishing biologies. I can set up a bare new tank with just crushed coral and water, no animals of any sort, let it sit a month and at the end of the month Alk will be depleted while Calcium and Mag barely move. There's just enough contaminants in fresh salt mix to fuel algae and bacteria to eat up all the bicarbonate in the salt mix.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back