Just started setting up my Evo 13.5

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really liking all of the nano builds! That’s a tough question and I think it’s all your personal preference. The only downside I can see to the mirror is aggression from reflection for your livestock, but I guess that also depends on what you’re putting in it. Sounds like a fun build and can’t wait to see what you come up with!

OP
OP
A2dahlberg

A2dahlberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really liking all of the nano builds! That’s a tough question and I think it’s all your personal preference. The only downside I can see to the mirror is aggression from reflection for your livestock, but I guess that also depends on what you’re putting in it. Sounds like a fun build and can’t wait to see what you come up with!
This is how I know my wife loves me:
Due to my budget I wasn't able to buy the heater yet. She has a side hustle selling seeds for the garden on Esty (PM is you want the address) As we were talking she asked me about the heater Cobalt Aquatics Flat Neo-Therm Heater with Adjustable Thermostat (Fully-Submersible, Shatterproof Design) 50W. I mentioned to her that I would have to wait till next month for it. See tells me to order it and use her money that the house owes her from her latest shipment because I'm so hard to buy gifts for. What a wonderful wife I have. As soon as this last order from Amazon comes in, I'll be able to start cycling and posting pics up.

OP
OP
A2dahlberg

A2dahlberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be making my first batch of salt water (Red Sea Pro) tomorrow or Wednesday. All the rest of my gear arrived today, moved the fresh water tanks to the spare room thoroughly cleaned the new spot for the Evo.

OP
OP
A2dahlberg

A2dahlberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about salinity, the Hanna Tester measured 34.1. I know that is salinity, and it should be between 33-35. The question is this, ever where I see the number 1.026 is there a formula or different measurement this number comes from? I think the Hanna tester takes 2 or 3 different types of salinity but which one should I choose?

namfuak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think everyone has their personal preference.

With the Hanna being a conductivity tester, I believe the native reading would be PSU (practical salinity units), but most typically measure in ppt or SG (specific gravity or relative density). SG is a measurement from hydrometers. If you were in Germany, you would probably be using density which is based on weight per volume.

With that being said, it really doesn't matter as the accuracy of the tester itself is ±0.001 S.G. (@ 25°C/77°F). I would just decide on ppt or sg and keep it there.

OP
OP
A2dahlberg

A2dahlberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think everyone has their personal preference.

With the Hanna being a conductivity tester, I believe the native reading would be PSU (practical salinity units), but most typically measure in ppt or SG (specific gravity or relative density). SG is a measurement from hydrometers. If you were in Germany, you would probably be using density which is based on weight per volume.

With that being said, it really doesn't matter as the accuracy of the tester itself is ±0.001 S.G. (@ 25°C/77°F). I would just decide on ppt or sg and keep it there.
Thanks for the info, my first bucket tested at 34.1, I'll change it tomorrow.

OP
OP
A2dahlberg

A2dahlberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just finished setting up my Evo 13.5. Now I have to wait to cycle. (I hate this part) Pic 4 is facing the thrown =).

Attachments

• Tank 1.jpg
    Tank 1.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 47
  • tank 5.jpg
    tank 5.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 45
  • tank 4.jpg
    tank 4.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 44
  • tank 3.jpg
    tank 3.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 43
  • tank 2.jpg
    tank 2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
A2dahlberg

A2dahlberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parameters are:
DateAmmoniaNirtateNitritePHAlkalinitySalinityTemp
2/7/20210.85-10 7?18.1-8.28.25 16.5 drops34.125.9c or 78.62f
2/10/2021.4-.810.-20..5-1not testedNot tested34.325.9 or 78.62

What do you think is my tank cycling? I'm assuming the brown is algae but its spreading like crazy and starting to pearl in some spots.

Attachments

• tank life 1.jpg
    tank life 1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
A2dahlberg

A2dahlberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK just got add my first shipment of coral and an emerald crab to my tank.
I don't know what the last coral pic is, so if anyone knows please let me know.

Attachments

• GSP.jpg
    GSP.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Queen of hearts.jpg
    Queen of hearts.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 40
  • toxic rhodacits.jpg
    toxic rhodacits.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 34
  • ZOA 1.jpg
    ZOA 1.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 37
  • coral question 1.jpg
    coral question 1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 43

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back