Just starting to build out my tanks

AC0DX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the my tanks. The 29 is in mid cycle and I look forward to adding a softie soon. The 90 is new to me and I am getting ready to build a purchase list of what I need.

Here is what I have for the 90 right now:
90 gallon drilled tank
Stand (not my favorite)
All-glass MegaFlow Series 3 sump
In sump skimmer - not sure the brand
External Pump.

Things I think I need:
Affordable (I know I know) LED lights
Rock - Dry 150 lbs or so (I plan on taking a live rock from the 29 and putting in the sump to help with the cycle
Sand (maybe - still debating bare bottom or not)
Heater
Circulation pumps
Glass top
RO/DI unit.

Anything I am missing?

IMG_2595.JPG
IMG_2611.JPG

alyee5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you got the basics...I'd recommend an ATO. Also a glass top would eventually block your light and keep heat trapped and impede gas exchange.

reefpaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Auto Top Off, it replenishes lost water due to evaporation. As salt doesn't evaporate people usually top off with RODI from a container (or some direct from their RODI unit, but fail safes need to be employed to mitigated any potential disaster). Plenty of devices on the market to do this automatically, Tunze seems rock solid and gets plenty of good reviews, Neptune recently brought out their own version also, and others with cheaper price points too. Some people top off manually but it becomes a chore and tends to get neglected which over time impacts your salinity. The key to keeping a successful reef is stability.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AC0DX

AC0DX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it has been a couple months since I setup the 29. I have added a sump to it and I am happy with it. The perfect addition to my office.

EF3F4C4E-A4CD-45B6-A6EE-9A178C0ACAD0.jpeg

OP
OP
AC0DX

AC0DX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I figured I would update this thread with pictures of both tanks. I will say I can tell the difference between starting a tank with tap water and ro/di. I started the 29 with tap because I was told that was fine. I am now dealing with a cyano bloom. I started the 90 with RO/di and no cyano or hair algae at all.

AC248A54-57C0-45AA-BBF1-F98BED1A0776.jpeg

49EEB665-0ECE-41BE-AA64-26DC824028CE.jpeg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back