Justin's 120g reef tank build

Jlreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefing community,
I am currently setting up a 120 gallon reef tank. This will be my third reef tank and will be an upgrade. I started with a bio cube then moved to a 55 gallon and now 120g. Currently it is in the cycling stage and I am taking it slow so enjoy the start of this journey.
20201213_175155.jpg
20201225_184606.jpg

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mix of rock makes it look very ... abstract XD looks great, love the scape itself though! Whats your livestock plan for this baby?

OP
OP
J

Jlreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mix of rock makes it look very ... abstract XD looks great, love the scape itself though! Whats your livestock plan for this baby?
Haha thanks, I used rocks I had laying around and bought new base rocks. Hopefully one day it will all be covered is coraline. I'm thinking a clownfish pair and I like tangs so maybe a couple tangs. I am def open to suggestions/recommendations.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha thanks, I used rocks I had laying around and bought new base rocks. Hopefully one day it will all be covered is coraline. I'm thinking a clownfish pair and I like tangs so maybe a couple tangs. I am def open to suggestions/recommendations.
My suggestion:
- pair of clowns.
- You can probably keep a few tangs, I would recommend tomini or kole, but i think in a tank that size you can have yellow and/or blue tangs.
- I really coral beauty angels
- Anthias are cool fish too, you can keep a small school of those.
- Lots of cool wrasses.

Anyone else know anytihng? I only have a 20g (which im upgrading to a 65g) so I dont know too many larger fish XD

OP
OP
J

Jlreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion:
- pair of clowns.
- You can probably keep a few tangs, I would recommend tomini or kole, but i think in a tank that size you can have yellow and/or blue tangs.
- I really coral beauty angels
- Anthias are cool fish too, you can keep a small school of those.
- Lots of cool wrasses.

Anyone else know anytihng? I only have a 20g (which im upgrading to a 65g) so I dont know too many larger fish XD
Thanks! I'll look into those. Similar situation my previous tanks were small so I just had a pair of clown fishes and a goby.

Woodchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the red lined wrasse or pink streaked wrasse if you are looking for smarter wrasses. You should also check out the swissguard basselet. I am new to the reefing community and I only have a 30 gallon so those might be horrible suggestions they were just fish I thought were cool. I am getting the pink streaked wrasse though.

Woodchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the red lined wrasse or pink streaked wrasse if you are looking for smarter wrasses. You should also check out the swissguard basselet. I am new to the reefing community and I only have a 30 gallon so those might be horrible suggestions they were just fish I thought were cool. I am getting the pink streaked wrasse though.
I meant smaller not smarter just realized that

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm loving this scape. Did you drill and pin there rocks or epoxy or what?

Yellow eye Kole tang is my favorite fish to watch in the tank. Total work horse, pecks at algea constantly. Now that I'm working on the 120 more, I've let the bowfront get some in the glass and I can see him scraping it off.

Close second is a melanarus Wrasse. Beautiful and practical.

OP
OP
J

Jlreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm loving this scape. Did you drill and pin there rocks or epoxy or what?

Yellow eye Kole tang is my favorite fish to watch in the tank. Total work horse, pecks at algea constantly. Now that I'm working on the 120 more, I've let the bowfront get some in the glass and I can see him scraping it off.

Close second is a melanarus Wrasse. Beautiful and practical.
Sorry just saw your reply. But no I did not drill and pin. I used super glue to design/build then I used e-marco 400. No complaints so far.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back