Juvenile Emperor Angelfish

saltwaterlover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2708fff520ff72cfda9d89b381fb7982.jpg
(That’s the type of one we saw)

I went to the pet store yesterday and saw a Juvenile Emperor Angelfish and my aunt fell in love and now wants me to get one in the future [emoji23] I’ve read up a bit about them but I'd like to know a bit more specifically about them and people’s experiences with them. Also what are their:

Temperament: (Would they be good if you used a acclimation hang on box for the other fish to check them out)
Diet: (Type of meats or brands of food)
Reef Compatible: (what kind of corals do they eat because I saw they are “With Caution”)
Minimum Tank Size:
Water Conditions:
Compatibility With What Other Aquarium Fish:

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be a mean fish when they are established,add last.They like nori and fresh raw sea food,shrimp clams scallops.They are hit and miss with many different types of coral.Known killers of acans and other LPS.A lot of them will develop lateral line when treated with copper.

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an adult in my 240. He picked on my puffer, and he went round after round with my larger niger trigger. I decided to rehome when he started going after my purple tang. Beautiful fish but he had an attitude. I'd like to get another angel but this time I'm thinking blueface instead of emperor.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely cranky, and not compatible with the large fleshy polyped corals like open brains ..... but good with other LPS and SPS. Needs space. My 7'" adult is in an eight foot 450. OK looking as a juvie; stunning as an adult.

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have one in an 8’ 300 and it’s definitely boss of the tank. Audibly grunting if the Blueface, Blueline, or Powder Blue get too close to is algae clip- there are three clips but it’s laid claim to one for himself. If the grunts don’t scare away trespassers he will chase them away.

Only have soft corals in the tank and he nips at most of them.

Last edited:

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome fish, but like others have stated Boss of the tank. I have grown three from juvenile to adult, one took 3 years to get to adult. One took a year, and the one I have now is going on two years and is now changing at 5". When he changes I have an LFS that will take him for $100. He is in a 180 and at 5" is getting close to out growing the tank and has been boss since day one. What is funny he gets along with the Regal Angels better than the tangs? Except for meat corals like brains and acans all three where reef safe

colin obrien

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they're my favorite angel! I raised mine from an 1'' to 10'' before it was time for my fish stock management people came to take him away and rehome it. it barked like a dog with its grunts and was best friends with my humu trigger fish. it was an absolute amazing experience to raze an imperator angel. I fed my angel ocean nutrition pygmy angel formula and ocean nutrition angel formula. they both had sponge in the food and that is very important with the larger angel fish. I also fed cut up shrimp from the local fish market mysis shrimp and nori from the clips. a pretty aggressive fish but it was with other aggressive fish so everyone got along. highly recommend this fish and I think a 180 would probably be okay if you want to raise it from a small juvenile.

Fishbob50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they're my favorite angel! I raised mine from an 1'' to 10'' before it was time for my fish stock management people came to take him away and rehome it. it barked like a dog with its grunts and was best friends with my humu trigger fish. it was an absolute amazing experience to raze an imperator angel. I fed my angel ocean nutrition pygmy angel formula and ocean nutrition angel formula. they both had sponge in the food and that is very important with the larger angel fish. I also fed cut up shrimp from the local fish market mysis shrimp and nori from the clips. a pretty aggressive fish but it was with other aggressive fish so everyone got along. highly recommend this fish and I think a 180 would probably be okay if you want to raise it from a small juvenile.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The recommended minimum for a grown adult is 220 gallons on Live Aquaria and I would say that is about accurate as they get BIG. As mentioned they are hit and miss with corals and it depends on the type of coral and they can be jerks to their tank mates.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this fish. I try to buy the smallest one I can find, (the size of a quarter) and raise it up to adult size 8" and then re-home it. At that size they own the 125 gallon tank and keep the other fish away from the front glass. Usually takes about 3-4 years. I then start over with another.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 104 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 109 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.4%
Back