Juvenile Engineer Goby compatible with Clownfish?

Rupture Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I have a juvenile Engineer Goby, and he is still little (about 3.5 inches). Anyway I was wondering if anyone has successfully kept clownfish in a tank with an engineer goby. I know that at this point it would not be able to eat the clownfish, but once it is larger would it eat it (assuming it is fed everyday several times)?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep 2 engineer gobies in my 125. They are about 2 and a half years old and probably close to a foot long. Honestly, I've never seen any aggression from them toward any other inhabitants. They are very timid. I did have an ocillaris clown with them for about a year with no problem. They do require a lot of rock work to burrow under, and they move an incredible amount of sand. CONSTANTLY!

OP
OP
Rupture Reefer

Rupture Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep 2 engineer gobies in my 125. They are about 2 and a half years old and probably close to a foot long. Honestly, I've never seen any aggression from them toward any other inhabitants. They are very timid. I did have an ocillaris clown with them for about a year with no problem. They do require a lot of rock work to burrow under, and they move an incredible amount of sand. CONSTANTLY!
Thanks for the reply. They really do spit out do much sand into the tank, but they are do fun to watch it makes it worth it!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed some pellets to get the goby out in view, this is my display refugium attached to the display, excuse the glass, my clowns host the frag rack in that corner and there are 2 cleaner shrimps in that end as well, it is over 6 inches long now. :)

DSC_0072 (1024x662).jpg

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I have a juvenile Engineer Goby, and he is still little (about 3.5 inches). Anyway I was wondering if anyone has successfully kept clownfish in a tank with an engineer goby. I know that at this point it would not be able to eat the clownfish, but once it is larger would it eat it (assuming it is fed everyday several times)?

It can. I always tell folks to treat engineer gobies like eels, that and they can make a mess of your rockwork/tank.

Back