Kalk + 2 part dosing = precipitation?

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am currently dosing 2 part in my 180 (dosing pump 12x per day) and considering to add Kalk continuously via doser at a rate of 2ml per minute of saturated solution, to boost my pH. Will this not lead to precipitation at the times when it coincides with the 2 part dosing (given I am dosing both in the return chamber of the sump)? Current All consumption is around 1,25dKh per day.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing for you to do is feed the 2 part at different times maybe 5 to 10 mins apart from eachother and apart from the kalk.

Have you tried opening a window? Or running your skimmer intake to outside?

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick reply. I am trying to solve the low pH I have during the winter when windows are closed. Tank is in the living room and with a family of 6 as soon as the windows close the CO2 inside sky rockets, sometimes reaching more than 1300ppm (outside air is at 450ppm, give or take). So my pH drops to lows of 7,67 at its lowest during the night. Plan would be to dose Kalk from 10pm to 10am, (depending on All consumption during that period I may even only dose the 2 part during the day, but I will have to check with the Trident. Currently my Alk has a typical daily swing of about 0,6dKh, and sometimes more if the pH drop at night is too high. Not sure if the Kalk will make a huge difference but we will see.

Would you say that it would be more effective to dose All 24/7 for pH stabilisation?

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing for you to do is feed the 2 part at different times maybe 5 to 10 mins apart from eachother and apart from the kalk.

Have you tried opening a window? Or running your skimmer intake to outside?
Thanks. I actually spread the Alkalinity and Calcium dosage by 20minutes. That is the issue. During the day with the windows open it does improve, but because it is winter from around 6 or 7pm they are shut down. Really do not want to drill into concrete walls to get the line outside so do not want to go down that route. Possibly instal an HRV system which will benefit not only the tank but also the whole family given high Co2 levels can have health impacts, namely on children.

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect it is OK. The local pH rise and alk boost from the kalkwasser for the few minutes the others are present is not much.
Thanks Randy. My concern is more related to whether having concentrated two part solution at the same tine as kalk would result in precipitation of the two part leading me to continuously increase 2 part dosage while levels qould drop due to precipitation.

many thanks and kind regards

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy. My concern is more related to whether having concentrated two part solution at the same tine as kalk would result in precipitation of the two part leading me to continuously increase 2 part dosage while levels qould drop due to precipitation.

many thanks and kind regards

Assuming they are not added in the same place at the same time, the only relationship between either of them and precipitation is that the higher the pH and alk (and to a smaller extent, calcium), the more likely is abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate.

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming they are not added in the same place at the same time, the only relationship between either of them and precipitation is that the higher the pH and alk (and to a smaller extent, calcium), the more likely is abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate.
Thank ou very much Randy. They would be dosed at the same time given the Alk would be on a continuous dosing pump hence my concerns. All of my dosing currently happens in the return pump chamber so I guess if I dose the Kalk in the skimmer chamber it would not be an issue.

Kind regards

Back