Kalk+2

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a 65 gallon mixed reef. Currently dosing 20 mil of all for reef and about 200 mil of regular old bulk kalk a day. (I'm using the kalk mostly for ph)

I find that every month or so, my magnesium starts to fade away. I'm assuming this is due to the kalk.

I know kalk+2 is far from being as cost effective as bulk kalk, but I don't use a lot.

is this stuff any good ?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mag in the kalk+2 will precipitate out into the bottom of your kalk container well before it does anything to your mag levels in the tank.
I tried it but always had to add mag by hand.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk+2 is a ridiculous product. It actually has less magnesium than food grade calcium hydroxide (both by Brightwell's own claims and confirmed by BRS testing), and what little is in it is useless since it cannot dissolve into the high pH of limewater.

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Post #7

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a jar almost empty. Even when I used it strictly and no two parts magnesium fell normally. So, it's claims of magnesium are laughable like Randy said. However, it was the only calcium hydroxide the reef store had at the time. {shrug}

As a Calcium Hydroxide only source the product is fine. It's just pricey. It's $20 for a pound on Amazon and you can get more than 2x that amount of high grade Calcium Hydroxide from BRS.

Side bar: I have used Seachem's Calcium Chloride Advantage with Magnesium, and my Mag tracked perfectly after going through nearly a whole jar. That product seems to work as claimed, but is pricey. If you have a lighter volume calcium uptake I can see it being convenient in that you nearly don't have bother with magnesium. For higher uptake obviously just mix in your own generic mag and calcium.

OP
OP
Rjmul

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No short cuts I guess. I'll just continue what I'm dosing and adjust by hand as I need to.

Das1175

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At a show I talked to brightwell rep. He said he couldnt justify kalk+2 over plain brs kalk. Both still gonna have to add mag. Or hope your water changes keep up with it

OP
OP
Rjmul

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At a show I talked to brightwell rep. He said he couldnt justify kalk+2 over plain brs kalk. Both still gonna have to add mag. Or hope your water changes keep up with it
lol good inside info

Back