Kalk and coraline algae

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing all for reef exclusively in my aquarium about 6 months ago or around the time when the powder became available. My coral love it, however, coraline algae, not so much. My coraline algae prior to dosing AFR was everywhere, even shelving in places. I was using kalkwasser exclusively then. I stopped using kalk once I started the AFR and slowly the algae started to fade away. A few weeks ago it hit me like a brick when I noticed that my coraline algae was almost imperceptible. I dialed back the AFR and started to use kalk again and in the span of a week and a half the coraline is coming back strong. So, would it be safe to assume that the calcium in AFR is not the "flavor” or correct form of calcium molecule arrangement that coraline prefer? The coral don’t seem to care either way by my observations. I find the aesthetics of coraline algae are too important too me so I am going to continue the kalk just for the coraline. Has anyone else noticed this?

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of tanks use afr and have tons of coraline.

Kalk increases ph, afr doesn't. Coraline likes high alk and ph so if your pH dropped I'd guess that's why.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It cannot be an effect from the calcium source. Once added to the aquarium, calcium retains no memory of where it came from (at least between AFR and kalkwasser).

The pH and perhaps the available alkalinity as bicarbonate may certainly impact coralline.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I’d agree with above, it’s likely that pH boost. I’d keep dosing at least a small amount.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%

Back