Kalk dosing question.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am switching from 2 part (BIonic) and going back to kalk dosing for alk and cal. It was for me at least the lowest cost, easiest to dose and most stable method on my past tanks. I had always dosed by adding kalk to my ATO water and evaporation would replenish alk and cal. However this method was not very consistent as evaporation would vary as would demand for cal and alk plus the need to clean the ATO res and pump 1-2 times a month gets old fast. I have a 4 channel doser I use for 2 part and was thinking I could mix the needed strength of kalk water and use a 1 gallon jug along with the doser to daily dose the need amount to maintain proper levels. This would allow for some flexibility as I can change the dose amount and strength of the kalk water while keeping my ATO res clean. Option 2 is a kalk reactor inline of the ATO. That would require the purchase of a reactor and an unwanted cost I would rather save for coral. Option 3 is my old method of kalk in the ATO res and just deal with cleaning and adjusting of kalk strength.

serwobow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option 1 sounds like it should work great. I would do that (I also have a multichannel doser). I used to do something similar with KALK. The only issue I had is that KALK dosing is only sufficient for a tank with a low-medium stony coral load. I think eventually (perhaps very soon depending on your stony coral load) you will probably be using only KALK dosing, and no ATO. That is the main issue with KALK in my experience. It is just not strong enough.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do option 1 as well. Mix up the kalk in a separate reservoir and dose it with dosing pump. Can attest that it hold its potency (for me) easily up to ten days. I'd go with a bigger reservoir than one gallon. Set it and forget it :)

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option 1 no doubt about it. If you want your kalk to be stronger there are threads about mixing it with a little vinegar so it will hold more kalk.

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thanks! I will go with option 1. My alk and cal demand is low right now because I lost most of my sps to dinoflagellates. This will be my first time using the new BRS Pharma grade kalk and kind of excited to compare it to traditional kalk.

Back