Kalk Drip line above or below water level

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the kalk drip line be placed slightly below water level to avoid CO2 finding its way into the Kalk Stirrer. I ask because the saturation of the Kalk lasts about 3 days as oppossed to the full month as advertised. Adding kalk and manually stirring it up does not help. Dumping out and putting fresh water and kalk are the only fix thus far for me. So I am thinking CO2 is getting in there. Drip line reaches about 4 inches from bottom. Not sure if a quarter inch from water vs an inch makes a difference. Don’t know why I cannot put drip line in water. It will not siphon upwards into kalk stirrer. What is the concern with putting drip line in water?

I have the Avast K-1 Kalkwasser Stirrer hooked up to an Apex doser.

I am considering going back to adding Kalk back in gravity feed ato resevior, mixing, then saran wrap to seal it. Shutting valve off so water does not go into sump and using a doser for the evaporation rate to take saturated limewater to make my daily top off of fresh.

I do not like constantly adjusting my soda ash and calcium chloride due to the drastic changes in limewater saturation to keep things stable.

Jdadams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a plastic syringe upside down on a dosing pump thats submerged underwater. Its prevents co2 buildup and clogging. Not perfect but it works.

Upvote 0

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you show a picture?
Take a 5ml or 10ml syringe and pull out the plunger and throw it away. We dont need the inside pf the syringe. Attatch your dosing hose to the tip of the syringe and submerge it underwater. Theres a thread somewhere its not my idea but i cant find it.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back