Kalk in dosing pump

Steve13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to start dosing kalk with a dosing pump. Have an evo 13.5 gallon. What would a good starting point for mls be?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best starting place is to monitor your tanks alk demand, then use a reef calculator to determine the amount of kalkwasser needed per day, and then drip that amount of kalkwasser per day.

Kalkwasser will increase your pH which will increase your abiotic precipitation and coral demand. So expect to have to increase your kalkwasser over time.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I forgot to mention is your dosing limit is your tank's evaporation rate. This is why some have to supplement their tank beyond what kalkwasser can provide with other products.

kabal2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after you calculate your demand of cac and alk, start your dosing regiment by half of your daily evaporation, exp. if your tank evaporate 200ml a day add 100ml of kalk. at half of potency that it will be 1 teaspoon of kalk for 1 gal of water, after that increment the volume of kalk dose to your tank up to 3/4 of the daily average evaporation, when you max out the volume of kalk water that you can dose to your tank just add more kalk to the water that you dosing and dose less water kalk because it will be more strong than before
I hope this makes sense

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing all or nearly all of the evaporated water with kalkwasser that is 1/4 saturated (0.5 level teaspoon per gallon of fresh water) is typically a good starting point if you do not know the alk demand.

Then adjust it based on alk readings in the tank.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to start dosing kalk with a dosing pump. Have an evo 13.5 gallon. What would a good starting point for mls be?
I would start with about 200 mLs. That would be 0.5 dKH per day if fully saturated. You can use a less potent mix and add more volume too, as Randy suggested. Test for alk daily until you get it dialed in. Kalk takes a little trial and error.
I highly recommend NOT using an ATO.

Other options are a gravity drip or a kalk reactor.
What? OP is clearly using a dosing pump.

Reef Jockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i also have a Fluval 13.5 evo and am dosing kalk in my top off water. i also dose AFR to maintain the demand. I typically mix 1tsp to 1gal of rodi water. I am currently dosing 720ml a day of top off water but it varies during the time of year. I have no top and a fan to regulate my temp between 76-77 (reason for the amount of top off water). Seems to be working because i'm maintaining my ph at 8 and my alk at 8.7-9 dkh.
i'm planning to cut back on the kalk mix to reduce the residue left behind from precipitation.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back