Kalk options

Dorsetsteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150l Acro dominant display.
In winter in particular the ph drops to where the high is only 8. So I started to dose Kalk, using a peri pump hourly. Dosing 250ml daily, this accounts for approximately 0.25dkh. This appears to have helped and I now achieve 8.15-8.2 as a high. The photo should help show how tight I am on space.

Is there any notable difference between using saturated limewater and a Kalk stirrer?

I don’t have the cabinet space for a larger Kalk bottle and currently the bottle I do have space for is only enough for a weeks supply at only 0.2dkh daily. The rest of my requirements are met by All for reef.
Ideally I’d like to expand to a large proportion of my daily demands being supplied by Kalk for its ph increasing properties and its cost effect nature.

There’s small children, so I don’t want bottles of Kalk outside the cabinet to be tampered with.

Thoughts/suggestions?

80F4F284-3698-45F2-A483-1BBC865C06A4.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the alk per day dosed thst matters, not how it is delivered, but I’m surprised 0.25 dKH does anything noticeable. Even if you add it all at once, the pH boost is only about 0.1 pH units , and that will fade over a few h.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze has a great little inline Kalk vessel that works with your ato. The benefit is that it doesn't have to run through your pumps but the shortcoming is that being it functions with your ato it may or may not change dose based on your seasonal evaporation.
might be an option

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back