Kalk question

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a kalk related question. I currently dose kalk in my ATO but it is no longer keeping up with pH and alk demands, not fully saturated kalk ATO. I want switch to dosing saturated kalk on a dose. I have a Kamoer X1 and 5 gallon jug ready for the setup. Question is how should I go about switching? Should I just turn off my ATO for a day, test for alk drop to get a baseline daily demand and dose kalk at night to make up for evaporation? I want better control over alk and to maintain a higher ph.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley, he was saying that currently what is added with the ATO is not fully saturated. When he does the proposed switch he will fully saturate it.

If you know how saturated it is going through the ATO then you could do the calculation to equal what you would be doing with full saturation. So if it was saturated 50% and your ATO pumped 1 gallon/day then you’d dose 1/2 gallon/day if it was fully saturated.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will come a time when you are maxed out for kalkwasser and will need to supplement with 2 part or a CaRx if your demands exceed what it can do.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but much safer, better control over dosing and I will be going to fully saturated instead of halfish saturated. Just wondering if my plan to switch is sound?

Switching to a dosing pump is a fine plan.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back