Kalk to Carbo calcium

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank has run out of track on the Kalk train and I've decided to switch over to Tropic Marin Carbo-calcium. I like the simple one additive solution. But in all of my googling I haven't found any info on how to actually switch from one additive to the other. Can I switch cold turkey or do I need to do it somehow gradually? Each additive has a different Affect on PH, but is it enough that it could cause me a problem? I'm usually around 8.2-8.4.

Tank photo

PXL_20210325_212436436.jpg

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just augmented my Kalk dosing with AFR (Carbocalcium) as I was at my Kalk limit. I was unable to just add 0.1dKH without some unexpected fluctuations.

I suggest slowly adding it to the tank and monitor...just remember that Alk from Carbocalcium takes time to show up in tank.

OP
OP
SoggyNW

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the help. I'm going to try and phase it in over a week and try to keep things stable

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hooked up a dosing pump (about 1ml/min) and an OXO DIY container of Carbo-Calcium. I'm waiting for the digital timers to arrive tomorrow and ill run the dosing pump for about 10 minutes per day. I'll see how the alk levels out and if I need to increase or not. As of now, I just turn on the dosing pump and set a timer and then unplug it.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just augmented my Kalk dosing with AFR (Carbocalcium) as I was at my Kalk limit. I was unable to just add 0.1dKH without some unexpected fluctuations.

I suggest slowly adding it to the tank and monitor...just remember that Alk from Carbocalcium takes time to show up in tank.
First, i think you want to switch to all for reef instead of just carbocalcium. That is because it also contains the mag and 17 trace elements.
Second, both afr and carbocalcium is slow release of alk so its best to start a low dose of either, and monitor the parameters over 24-36hrs. Then start lowering the kalk dising. I am assuming you are using a calk stirrer/doser. Dose a few mls of tropic marin, and lower the doing of kalk slightly.

On my 1200gal system im going to dose all for reef like on my current system. But also going to supplement with kalk for ph control.

OP
OP
SoggyNW

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, i think you want to switch to all for reef instead of just carbocalcium. That is because it also contains the mag and 17 trace elements.
Second, both afr and carbocalcium is slow release of alk so its best to start a low dose of either, and monitor the parameters over 24-36hrs. Then start lowering the kalk dising. I am assuming you are using a calk stirrer/doser. Dose a few mls of tropic marin, and lower the doing of kalk slightly.

On my 1200gal system im going to dose all for reef like on my current system. But also going to supplement with kalk for ph control.
I agree, except that we can't get all for reef in powder form in the US. Buying the premixed liquid is one of the most expensive options where buying the powder makes it one of the cheapest.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am dosing AFR...hence my suggestion.

"I suggest slowly adding it to the tank and monitor...just remember that Alk from Carbocalcium takes time to show up in tank."

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, except that we can't get all for reef in powder form in the US. Buying the premixed liquid is one of the most expensive options where buying the powder makes it one of the cheapest.
Im in the United states. Currently i order the 1600g containers of afr powder from germany. Actually expecting 2 more to arrive any day now.
Secondly its going to be available in the next month or so state side.
Lastly there is a 15000gr (33lbs) container available via special order. The tm U.S. rep confirmed that we will be able to order it via special order from curtain distributors.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dosing AFR...hence my suggestion.

"I suggest slowly adding it to the tank and monitor...just remember that Alk from Carbocalcium takes time to show up in tank."
Also in the mean time you can order the diy afr kit from bulk reef and.mix up 10ltr at a time.

OP
OP
SoggyNW

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in the United states. Currently i order the 1600g containers of afr powder from germany. Actually expecting 2 more to arrive any day now.
Secondly its going to be available in the next month or so state side.
Lastly there is a 15000gr (33lbs) container available via special order. The tm U.S. rep confirmed that we will be able to order it via special order from curtain distributors.
It shouldn't been an issue to switch from carbo calcium to all for reef down the road. I got the smaller container of carbo calcium for that reason. The other DIY/bulk options weren't attractive to me with only a 40 gallon tank to use it on.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn't been an issue to switch from carbo calcium to all for reef down the road. I got the smaller container of carbo calcium for that reason. The other DIY/bulk options weren't attractive to me with only a 40 gallon tank to use it on.
Be sure to monitor your mag and dose it as needed. Thats 1 of the 2 differences between carbocalcium and afr. Afr has carbocalcium,mag and trace A & k included.

OP
OP
SoggyNW

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frustrated. I attempted to set up my Kamoer X1 Pro 2 dosing pump and had no success. I followed the instructions but when it gets to the part where you hold down the button to put it into connection mode nothing happens. I've been all over the forum and tried everything I can find and nothing works.

I'll try again tomorrow and then I'm going to return this thing. Surprised BRS sells it, sure doesn't seem to fit their good better best philosophy.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frustrated. I attempted to set up my Kamoer X1 Pro 2 dosing pump and had no success. I followed the instructions but when it gets to the part where you hold down the button to put it into connection mode nothing happens. I've been all over the forum and tried everything I can find and nothing works.

I'll try again tomorrow and then I'm going to return this thing. Surprised BRS sells it, sure doesn't seem to fit their good better best philosophy.
I just bought the dosing heads+motors and wired them to DC adapters, then the adapters get plugged into digital/mechanical timers

OP
OP
SoggyNW

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the dosing heads+motors and wired them to DC adapters, then the adapters get plugged into digital/mechanical timers
If I can't get this to work then I'll probably go with a brs doser and digital timer. I had hoped a purpose built all in one solution would be more reliable but we're not off to a good start.

OP
OP
SoggyNW

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I finally got the pump connected to the app.

First problem was getting the pump into connection mode. The app said to hold the button for 6 seconds, that didn't work. The manual said to hold it for 4 seconds, that also did not work. What did work was holding for 1-2 seconds until the light briefly flicked red and then releasing.

The second issue I ran into was that the app on my phone could not identify my wifi network. On the step where you input the password it showed "unknown ssid". No idea why, I had to dig out an older android phone to do the setup with.

Third the pump still wouldn't connect so I had to unplug the pump and put it back into connect mode when the app asked you to hold the button for 6 seconds.

Finally got it up and connected. I'll report back once I calibrate it and get the reservoir setup.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back