Kalk to Fusion Part 1-2

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning. I am considering switching from using Kalk and Fusion 2, to using purely Fusion 1 and Fusion 2. I've noticed its a bit difficult to keep my levels stable (mainly in summer) because of the evaporation. I was curious if there are any steps I should take? Like should I slowly ease into it? Or just go off the directions on the back and switch my ATO to normal RODI.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you know the dalily alk delivered, you can figure the dose of Reef Fusion.

Note that Seachem Reef Fusion is not properly designed for 1:1 dosing despite their claim, so do not be surprised if you end up dosing a little more of the alk part than the calcium part long term.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you know the dalily alk delivered, you can figure the dose of Reef Fusion.

Note that Seachem Reef Fusion is not properly designed for 1:1 dosing despite their claim, so do not be surprised if you end up dosing a little more of the alk part than the calcium part long term.

I generally dose a 5 gallon bucket with 10 TSP of Kalk in three days? Not sure if there is some kind of formula to figure out what that equates to? Although I have to supplement some Fusion 2 in there, about 5ml a day to hold me at 8.5ish. Give or take depending on Evaporation.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally dose a 5 gallon bucket with 10 TSP of Kalk in three days? Not sure if there is some kind of formula to figure out what that equates to? Although I have to supplement some Fusion 2 in there, about 5ml a day to hold me at 8.5ish. Give or take depending on Evaporation.

You can plug the kalkwasser amounts into this calculator (by trial and error guessing of the alk per day and calculating the amount of saturated limewater needed until you hit 5 gallons), see how much alk that corresponds to, and then see how much Reef Fuision is needed by the same calculator:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered using a doser for your kalk instead of using the ATO?

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered using a doser for your kalk instead of using the ATO?

Ive looked around at reactors and such, but kalk alone isnt keep my system at 8.5, it wavers off after a few days. So I am also using Fusion 2 at the same time. Thats why I figured I would just go all to Fusion 2 instead of dealing with both.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive looked around at reactors and such, but kalk alone isnt keep my system at 8.5, it wavers off after a few days. So I am also using Fusion 2 at the same time. Thats why I figured I would just go all to Fusion 2 instead of dealing with both.
Sounds good. If you don't want to deal with both, that is understandable.

Some folks don't make the connection that you don't have to use an ATO for kalk addition. You also don't need a reactor, and most reactors are set up to work with an ATO. You can just mix up a large container of saturated kalk, and pump it in with a doser.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. If you don't want to deal with both, that is understandable.

Some folks don't make the connection that you don't have to use an ATO for kalk addition. You also don't need a reactor, and most reactors are set up to work with an ATO. You can just mix up a large container of saturated kalk, and pump it in with a doser.

Yeah, I considered it. But the fact that I have to use both I was like "meh, might as well just do one and not deal with it." lol.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back