kalk top off help please

jerl77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i am going to have an auto top off hooked up to an toms lifter pump so when the tank calls for water it will add kalk water
so the question is do i drip the kalk in or just let it run in from the aqua lifter pump only using air line tubing please help

jski711

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose kalk with a peristalic pump 24/7. I don't like float switches. I have heard way to many horror stories about them failing and killing peoples tanks.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Look for an aquamedic or brs dosing pump. Those r perastalic. Aqualifter is a diaphragm pump.

sent from my samsung captivate via tapatalk

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose kalk with a peristalic pump 24/7. I don't like float switches. I have heard way to many horror stories about them failing and killing peoples tanks.

Are those pumps made to run 24/7? I think the bulk reef supply ones recommend against it due to wear and tear on the tubes(?)

OP
OP
jerl77

jerl77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will the set up i have work ?
and do i drip the top off water in?

gweston

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drip Kalk using a DIY dripper. Basically a container with airline tube. Its simple and effective. There are great examples of it all over the various forums. I don't drip Kalk constantly. Just enough to keep PH up in the 8.3-8.4 range, I then use RODI to top-off. Seems to work well for me. I mix Kalk: 1 Gallon = 2 teaspoon powder + 20ml white vinegar. The vinegar helps dissolve the Kalk more readily, allows it to saturate in the water better. Plus any extra vinegar is a carbon source which can be good to help with beneficial bacteria. Some people use a lot more vinegar. The more vinegar in the mix, the lower the PH in the Kalk bucket (FYI). Vinegar isn't required. Some people do it, some don't.

If you have a controller, you could potentially drip Kalk using an aqualifter based on the PH level of the tank water. You can then have a separate ATO with RODI.

There are a bunch of ways to do it. Each has it's pros/cons, differing costs, and potential risks. I'd like to use a dosing pump, but with budgets being the way they are, I have to prioritize.

gweston

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You drip it so that you are able to maintain stable, ph, calcium, and alkalinity levels. Too much kalk and it will precipitate out in the tank. Too little, and your levels will drop (better than being too high), and require adjustment. The rate and frequency that you drip is different for each tank based upon what livestock/corals you have. It is dosed in whatever manner is best for you. The key however is to -not- dose kalkwasser too quickly or overdose. Fast parameter shifts, no matter what they are, are bad. Magnesium should also be supplemented to keep it around 1350ppm.

As in my case, I drip when I need to, usually overnight when the PH dips a bit. At the current moment, my tank maybe evaporates between 1/2-3/4 gallon per day.. it is a rather small tank. I maybe go through 1 1/4 gallons of Kalkwasser (~2tsp worth) every 3 days to keep parameters where I like them. I then make up for any additional evaporation with RODI water. Usually manually every evening (for the moment), which maybe comes out to 1/4 gallon RODI a day.

I do a water change weekly, and at that time I supplement magnesium to bring the levels back up. My saltwater mix is a tad low on Mg (instant ocean).

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drip kalk every night and use a dripper meant for reptiles. Its kind of a pain since the drip rate doesn't stay consistent and I have to refill every other day since its only a one gallon container. I think I'm going to get the top off kit and kalk reactor from avast. This way I can dose more kalk and cut down on how much two part I have to does.

PR_Reefers

Reefer 4 Life!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what if i am using an auto top off still drip it?

Dripping or pouring... or whatever depends on your tank!! the point is you need to add it at a rate that doesn't raise the ph in your tank too quickly so.... start dripping and monitor your tank ph until you get to know what your tank demands... keeping the ph stable is what you need to worry about... that's why some people only dose at night when ph is lowest.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using an auto top off you can put the kalk in you top off water and just top off with the kalk water. Or you can get a kalk reactor (I like the avast reactor) this way you don't have to mix the kalk yourself. I use kalk along with two part, the kalk isn't enough to maintain my levels. It can be but it depends on how much your tank consumes and how much water you evaporate.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 46 43.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 50 47.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back