Kalki overdose and low alk after

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Kalki overdose via my CO2 scrubber, aside from the possible dye in my system too. I've addressed this as Kalki overdose. I had carb precipitate and the tank was cloudy . It's now the third day and tank water is clear but dusting is still in a lot of places. I used vinegar at the time to lower pH under 8.7. as it was 8.8. now it's come down to my normal 7.9.
my alk is low 5.8 via Hanna when it's usually 9. Should I be trying to correct this via WC or dosing or will the carbonate redissolve and add the original alk ? Did I remove the alk via vinegar? I did not test alk until today, three days later

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would have been better to perform a large water change asap as now the critters are trying to acclimate to the low alk caused by the "Kalki" invasion. I think I would still do the water change and try to move the alk closer to NSW levels.

I often have had issues with sticks that RTN after alk changes. People try to keep their levels stable, but in situations like this folks recommend that one slowly adjust the level back to "normal" for the tank. I hope you don't have sensitive corals that fail. GL

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The exposed calcium carbonate is acting as a seed crystals for more calcium carbonate precipitation, which will make it impossible to raise alk until these surfaces get clogged with magnesium, phosphate, organics, and even bacteria.

OP
OP
GSnake

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A WC typically would have been ideal to correct measures when things like this happen especially for an sps Dom system. I read a faq that Randy wrote on limewater overdose and I didn't worry too much. Everything looks ok except one confetti colony that is right under a powerhead, it's half RTN right now. I tried correcting alk a few hours ago with sodium bicarb that would have brought me from 5.3 to 8.3 dkh. But not sure how much if any will actually have an effect now due to the carb crystals. This is essentially the same as a water change too. I put coral food in as well for good measure. Wondering how long this will take before normal. I'll test alk regularly until then

OP
OP
GSnake

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm shooting my own foot playing with alk like this but three hours after dosing and my alk is 8.5. seems to be sticking. Hopefully it'll stay like this

OP
OP
GSnake

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so my AC has been broken this week and we also have a heat wave in town. my tank temp is 86... this might have been the cause for the confetti colony rtn/bleach. now im not sure. i just hope it recovers in time

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so my AC has been broken this week and we also have a heat wave in town. my tank temp is 86... this might have been the cause for the confetti colony rtn/bleach. now im not sure. i just hope it recovers in time

86 deg F is certainly pushing things.

Good luck!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"When it rains it pours." Hopefully the worst is over.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 115 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back