Kalkwasser and PH Impact

SirShmyra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently switched from dosing 2-part to dosing Kalkwasser for Alk and Ca supplamentation. The primary reason for the switch was due to the beneficial impact Kalk has on PH, as I was having trouble with low PH due to CO2 buildup ( Kalk is being utilized in conjunction with running skimmer airline outside which is probably the what is mostly increasing my PH).

That said, my current dosing regimen is 100 ml per hour, using 1/2 tsp of Kalk per gallon. However, 2400ml (aggregate daily kalk dose) is very close to my daily evaporation rate. Instead of toeing the line with evaporation, I am considering doubling the potency of my kalk mix and cutting my aggregate daily dosing to 1200 ml per day.

My question is, how would this impact PH? My daily PH is currently running about 8.0-8.1 which I am very happy with. So I am wondering, from a theoretical/chemistry perspective would doubling the potency and dosing half as much surpress some of the PH boost I am currently getting from Kalk under my current dosing regimen? Or would it be all the same?

Thanks for any advice!

Ira

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re delivering the same exact amount of Ca+ and OH-, so there’s no reason to think you’ll lose any of the pH boost. Seems like a safe thing to try.

Things IRL don’t always exactly track theory so keep an eye on it and see what happens. But wouldn’t expect a major shift.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubling the potency and dosing half as much will have zero net effect.

What is the alkalinity and is that current dose maintaining it?
Do not dose limewater (kalkwasser) to attain a pH value because the alk may get too high.

But if alk is OK or low, it is fine to up the potency and dose the same amount.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back