Kalkwasser and ph

Emon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon, I was wondering if I have my kalkreactor programmed with my ph probe are there going to b any disadvantages? Right now my ph fluxuates from 7.9 at night to 8.17 during the day. I would like to keep my ph stable by adding Kalk through out the day. I don’t have any knowledge as to if the ph should raise and drop like a sine wave or keeping it stable is an issue. Any advice will b appreciated . Thanks

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi emon

It is usual for ph to drop during the evening hours. If you are using kalk to help, you would want to dose at night. Your swing looks fine. You will never get your ph to stay at a certain number, too many variables. If the tank and everything is fine I may try a reverse photo period instead if you have a refuge or even some cheato in the sump. The thing with kalk is along with ph it can raise your Alk if you’re not careful

Kalk is good if you also need calcium and alk. This can substitute for 2 part dosing. I used it for years and liked it. That needs to be set up on a dosing schedule though and not off a ph controller

hope that helps

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon, I was wondering if I have my kalkreactor programmed with my ph probe are there going to b any disadvantages? Right now my ph fluxuates from 7.9 at night to 8.17 during the day. I would like to keep my ph stable by adding Kalk through out the day. I don’t have any knowledge as to if the ph should raise and drop like a sine wave or keeping it stable is an issue. Any advice will b appreciated . Thanks

IMO, don’t do it, except as an emergency shut off. You do not want to overdose limewater just because pH measurement got out of whack somehow. For most users, the pH never gets too high to need controlling. Alkalinity is more often the important parameter to control.

OP
OP
E

Emon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the the feedback . I guess I will play around with the dosage amount of the kalk and monitor it so all parameters stay stable. I have to remember what everyone says” don’t chase number!” For a reason , as long as everything is looking good and growing I can always adjust accordingly . At that point I can see what my ph gets to without killing everything

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back