Kalkwasser dosing ph spike

Lee belk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a redsea 250 I have been keeping my alk stable with salifert dry kh buffer

Over the course of two weeks I have been testing may alk cal mag and ph

Salinity 1026
Ph 8
Alk 8
Cal 450
Mag 1350
No3 10-25
Po4 005
I have had a calculated amount of rowaphos in for about 3 weeks to bring it down to 003

Cal and mag never fluctuate
Alk drops drops from 8 to 7.7 every day
So I want to dose kalkwasser through a doser at 1hr intervals over 24hrs I cant use my top of system because the tank evaporates different amounts every day

I used the reef chemistry calculator its give me 520 ml of full saturated kalkwasser my water volume is actually 200ltr I have programed my doser to deliver 21ml every hour to my sump it takes the pump 32 seconds to dispense the kalk is that too fast im not wanting perfect ph numbers im just paranoid about any bad ph spikes I would appreciate some advice thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a redsea 250 I have been keeping my alk stable with salifert dry kh buffer

Salinity 1026
Ph 8
Alk 8
Cal 450
Mag 1350
No3 10-25
Po4 005
I have had a calculated amount of rowaphos in for about 3 weeks to bring it down to 003

So I want to dose kalkwasser through a doser at 1hr intervals over 24hrs I cant use my top of system because the tank evaporates different amounts every day

I used the reef chemistry calculator its give me 520 ml of full saturated kalkwasser my water volume is actually 200ltr I have programed my doser to deliver 21ml every hour to my sump it takes the pump 32 seconds to dispense the kalk is that too fast im not wanting perfect ph numbers im just paranoid about any bad ph spikes I would appreciate some advice thanks

That dose rate and amount is fine. make sure it is added to a high flow area away from corals.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Salinity 1026
Ph 8
Alk 8
Cal 450
Mag 1350
No3 10-25
Po4 005

You'll be fine. Any pH "spikes" will be minor!

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did this work out for you?

I am using an IceCap KW reactor and have had nothing but issues with it due to its passive gravity-fed nature and extreme tendency to clog. I could use it instead as a mixing chamber and switch it to a dosing routine, but wondered how your system is doing?

OP
OP
L

Lee belk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did this work out for you?

I am using an IceCap KW reactor and have had nothing but issues with it due to its passive gravity-fed nature and extreme tendency to clog. I could use it instead as a mixing chamber and switch it to a dosing routine, but wondered how your system is doing?
Its been working perfectly it get clogged every other week if I don't give it a squeeze to free it all but its down to how small my tubes are there very thin thinking of getting some more with a larger hole I don't think it'll do it then

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been working perfectly it get clogged every other week if I don't give it a squeeze to free it all but its down to how small my tubes are there very thin thinking of getting some more with a larger hole I don't think it'll do it then
Okay, mine has been getting clogged more frequently now that summer is here. I’ve had over dosing happen once (which corals didn’t seem to mind at all - in fact they never looked happier than that day) and then all of the over flows from the chamber into the “mechanic closet.”

I’ve been considering the same retrofit.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 16 69.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.3%
Back