kalkwasser mixing question

Reefen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a post from Randy that he only cleans his Kalkwasser reservoir once a year. when I mix my kalkwasser I use a small power head for about 30 minuets, so can I just mix up all that old slug and new powder up all together?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a post from Randy that he only cleans his Kalkwasser reservoir once a year. when I mix my kalkwasser I use a small power head for about 30 minuets, so can I just mix up all that old slug and new powder up all together?

Yes. I always did that . Some of it may usefully dissolve if it is calcium hydroxide, and the other residue (calcium carbonte, magnesium hydroxide, etc.) will just swirl around but not cause problems.

highest_tides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to kalkwasser..I only stir for 5 seconds. Is that not enough? My understanding was if you stir too much it would be less potent??

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to kalkwasser..I only stir for 5 seconds. Is that not enough? My understanding was if you stir too much it would be less potent??

Five seconds is not likely enough to saturate the water, if that is a goal. In my case it certainly was not. I'd stir it for at least a few minutes, up to an hour or so. Keep it closed since CO2 from the air is the things that hurts it.

OP
OP
Reefen

Reefen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I always did that . Some of it may usefully dissolve if it is calcium hydroxide, and the other residue (calcium carbonte, magnesium hydroxide, etc.) will just swirl around but not cause problems.
how long should I let it settle after mixing?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 175 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back