Kalkwasser not raising alk or ph

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a question that I’m frustrated with.
I’m dosing kalk and doing 2 tsp per gl of RODI.
I’m checking potency with an HM Digital 100 using mS. I calibrated the mS with HM Digital solution.
I use the brs 1gl space saver and dose 480ml a day and still need to supplement 2 part.
I found this thread and have made 4 different 1gl solutions, starting from scratch on each. 1st, 2 tsp of brs kalk
2nd, 3 tsb of kalk
3rd, 4 tsb of kalk
4th, 6 tsb of kalk… all are under 7.14mS. Each jumps up about 1.0mS

I did 2 different batches of 1 cup RODI & 2 tsp of kalk, I just mixed differently. One by hand for 30sec or so and the 2nd on a magnetic stirrer for 20min. Magnetic stirrer was 7.12mS and the 30 sec hand mix was about 5.2

How do I achieve 10+mS or 12+ PH per gl?

That meter maxes out at 9.99 mS/cm so will never read higher.

It sounds to me like your meter is just off and 7 mS/cm is saturation for you.

what temp are you doing this at? Kalk dissolves less and has lower conductivity at higher temps.

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

what temp are you doing this at? Kalk dissolves less and has lower conductivity at higher temps.
Temp is between 70.5-71.5*

if 7mS is saturation for me, is there a way to bump it up or am I fighting a useless battle?

I do test display with a Milwaukee meter and my PH doesn’t move. When I first started dosing, it went up to 8.15. Lasted about 3 weeks.

I did not realize this meter doesn’t go high.
Can you recommend a decent meter at a reasonable price?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mine maxes out there as well...very frustrating.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp is between 70.5-71.5*

if 7mS is saturation for me, is there a way to bump it up or am I fighting a useless battle?

I do test display with a Milwaukee meter and my PH doesn’t move. When I first started dosing, it went up to 8.15. Lasted about 3 weeks.

I did not realize this meter doesn’t go high.
Can you recommend a decent meter at a reasonable price?

I mean the 7 you read may be a real 10 mS/cm.

Justdrew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a question that I’m frustrated with.
I’m dosing kalk and doing 2 tsp per gl of RODI.
I’m checking potency with an HM Digital 100 using mS. I calibrated the mS with HM Digital solution.
I use the brs 1gl space saver and dose 480ml a day and still need to supplement 2 part.
I found this thread and have made 4 different 1gl solutions, starting from scratch on each. 1st, 2 tsp of brs kalk
2nd, 3 tsb of kalk
3rd, 4 tsb of kalk
4th, 6 tsb of kalk… all are under 7.14mS. Each jumps up about 1.0mS

I did 2 different batches of 1 cup RODI & 2 tsp of kalk, I just mixed differently. One by hand for 30sec or so and the 2nd on a magnetic stirrer for 20min. Magnetic stirrer was 7.12mS and the 30 sec hand mix was about 5.2

How do I achieve 10+mS or 12+ PH per gl?
Just curious what size the tank is and how much evaporation? I have a 40B and I am 1700ml a day for kalk. 480ml is not that much.

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just curious what size the tank is and how much evaporation? I have a 40B and I am 1700ml a day for kalk. 480ml is not that much.
Reefer 525xl, I believe 139 total glns.
I’m guessing I’m about 2glns evaporation per day with current kalk dosing. I need to refill a 15gl DI reservoir every week.

Wow, 1700ml per day is a lot! My tank has a lot of frags, nothing big enough to be called a colony.

Justdrew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer 525xl, I believe 139 total glns.
I’m guessing I’m about 2glns evaporation per day with current kalk dosing. I need to refill a 15gl DI reservoir every week.

Wow, 1700ml per day is a lot! My tank has a lot of frags, nothing big enough to be called a colony.
I have a lot of SPS frags, but a huge hammer and duncan. You have room to add a lot more kalk with your evap.

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what your saying. By testing the kalk in 1 cup of water and getting similar number could be my meter is off.
Thank you Randy!

Yes, and there’s no need for a meter reading above 9.99 mS/cm because that is very close to true saturation.

if possible, you might even try to recalibrate the device to read 9.98 in true saturated kalkwasser. If not, just assume 7 is saturated..

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, and there’s no need for a meter reading above 9.99 mS/cm because that is very close to true saturation.

if possible, you might even try to recalibrate the device to read 9.98 in true saturated kalkwasser. If not, just assume 7 is saturated..
Can you use a tds meter that goes from 0-9999 tds? Ive see two equations to convert though. Ec*.5 = tds. There was also ec*.7 = tds. Which is right? I guess fully saturated lime water would have a tds 5150 ppm or 7210 ppm.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long to stir is a bit of guesswork when not monitoring conductivity since it depends on particle size, turbulence, etc.

Overnight is plenty. A few minutes might be enough. When I was mixing, 15-30 minutes got most of the way there.
15-30 minutes? Would mixing for like 2 minutes not be enough? If that's the case, I'm not mixing for nearly long enough as I was concerned about co2 getting into the solution if I mixed it for too long.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use a tds meter that goes from 0-9999 tds? Ive see two equations to convert though. Ec*.5 = tds. There was also ec*.7 = tds. Which is right? I guess fully saturated lime water would have a tds 5150 ppm or 7210 ppm.

There are different tds scales to convert tds to mS/cm.

I’d just try it in truly saturated limewater to see.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15-30 minutes? Would mixing for like 2 minutes not be enough? If that's the case, I'm not mixing for nearly long enough as I was concerned about co2 getting into the solution if I mixed it for too long.
In my Brute it took that long.

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are different tds scales to convert tds to mS/cm.

I’d just try it in truly saturated limewater to see.
So if i just get a cup and put a tbs of kalk in. Then measure the tds, i could use that value for my large vat of kalk. Does that sound right?

Not to highjack the thread, but i posted this yesterday and it wasnt in the chemistry forum. I turn my calc rx off. The pumps, doser, and co2. Is it ok for me to just leave the media in the chamber if the ph is 6.7? I plan to leave it like that for a couple months, but i dont know if the media will dissolve if it just sits there in 6.7 ph.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if i just get a cup and put a tbs of kalk in. Then measure the tds, i could use that value for my large vat of kalk. Does that sound right?

Not to highjack the thread, but i posted this yesterday and it wasnt in the chemistry forum. I turn my calc rx off. The pumps, doser, and co2. Is it ok for me to just leave the media in the chamber if the ph is 6.7? I plan to leave it like that for a couple months, but i dont know if the media will dissolve if it just sits there in 6.7 ph.
Only a little will dissolve, but I’d personally drain it to avoid it becoming anaerobic.

yes, let’s see what the cup of RO/do with a tablespoon of calcium hydroxide in it reads after my mixing a bit. If it is maxed out, the test is a fail, but a normal reading can be used to gauge potency.

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only a little will dissolve, but I’d personally drain it to avoid it becoming anaerobic.

yes, let’s see what the cup of RO/do with a tablespoon of calcium hydroxide in it reads after my mixing a bit. If it is maxed out, the test is a fail, but a normal reading can be used to gauge potency.
Could I leave the dosing pump on to move water through the reactor? I really don’t want to drain it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I leave the dosing pump on to move water through the reactor? I really don’t want to drain it.

Why not? Can’t you just disconnect a hose and drain it?

Short of that, I’d just shut off the CO2 and leave everything else as normal.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 38 45.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 25 29.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back