Kalkwasser Question

johnnyphish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Brightwell's Kalk+2 kalkwasser for a little while. I mix about 6 grams per gallon of RO, shake it up, let it settle for a day, and then pour off the clear part (about 80% of the gallon jug) into my ATO. My question is -- what is the white part that is left behind? If some amount of calcium, magnesium and strontium is "dissolved" into the clear liquid, is the white leftover stuff just extra kalk that doesn't dissolve b/c the water is supersaturated? Should I discard the white precipitate or keep mixing with RO until it is gone? Thanks!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question! I would say since 6 grams isn't enough to supersaturate a gallon of water with kalk then the leftover powder cannot just be extra kalk. Must be impurities of some kind. But I don't really know...

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, it is generally referred to as slurry, and can include impurities, refer the Reef Chemistry Forum and go to “Limewater (Kalkwasser).” All you ever wanted to know about kalk.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be 2 leftover portions. There will be a skin on top, which is precipitate from CO2 combining with the limewater. There will be some powder on the bottom that would be a combo of precipitate and undissolved kalk powder and impurities.

Back