Kalkwasser settling time

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I have been researching kalk. I'm noticing a wide range of settling times between hobbyist. Some have done as low as half an hour others have done several days. I'm not quit sure why there is such a large window here can someone educate me on this. my first batch is made. And sitting but for how long I'm not sure. Ive seen crystal clear kalk solutions and cloudy ones Secondly

My plan is to add 1 gallon at a time to my 10g ATO. Once it's empty I'll add 2 gallons kalk 8 gallons rodi water and so on until I'm at 10g of kalk in my ato. Im mixing it low as well, 1tsp per gallon.I beleive this will be a good slow adjustment for my tank instead of just slamming it with kalk right out of the gate.plus I will have a good idea of my evap rate as well by the time I'm at 10g of kalk solution in my ato.i choose this method so I do not have to worry about the sludge in the bottom of my ato. But that to depends on settling times. I assume that a lower settling time will produce sludge in my ato an I do NOT want that. Hinse the settling time in a separate container question.

I do plan on going to A dosing pump soon so the ato method will only be temporary.

Last edited:

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can wait until you can dose it then that is what I’d recommend. I was never a fan of using it in the ato but that method is very popular and it works so I understand wanting to do it that way. The reason I’d wait is just so you can keep your ato reservoir pure.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk + ATO = danger.

If your goal is to dose a balanced Alk/Ca supplement that also raises pH, you picked a great product.

However, dosing through ATO is a recipe for disaster. It's too easy to end up spiking your tank.

Additionally, you're dosing an unknown amount to your tank based on evaporation. This may cause alk and pH swings. You really want to aim for stability.

I have found that a slow contious drip of saturated Kalk provides a nice stable bump in pH. By controlling the drip rate and using saturated kalk, you can be precise with your dosing and keep your Alk/Ca stable.

Also, your approach to dosing may not work. You should measure your actual consumption and dosing accordingly. Young tanks may not consume much Alk/Ca and eventually dosing Kalkwasser to evaporation may just drive you parameters up and crash your tank.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk + ATO = danger.

If your goal is to dose a balanced Alk/Ca supplement that also raises pH, you picked a great product.

However, dosing through ATO is a recipe for disaster. It's too easy to end up spiking your tank.

Additionally, you're dosing an unknown amount to your tank based on evaporation. This may cause alk and pH swings. You really want to aim for stability.

I have found that a slow contious drip of saturated Kalk provides a nice stable bump in pH. By controlling the drip rate and using saturated kalk, you can be precise with your dosing and keep your Alk/Ca stable.

Also, your approach to dosing may not work. You should measure your actual consumption and dosing accordingly. Young tanks may not consume much Alk/Ca and eventually dosing Kalkwasser to evaporation may just drive you parameters up and crash your tank.
Thanks nice to know I to worry about the unkown dosing amounts an ato method offers. Weather's cooled off N evap seems less an less. But as I said this is only temporary until I get a dos mailed to me. I mean everyone needs at least 4 of those units right. . I plan on looking thru my scraps today to see if I can make a dripp setup.

Do you have any advice on how long to let the mix settle before using?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until it is clear.

I do not understand what you mean you are going to add 2 gallons of kalk with 8 gallons of rodi.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks nice to know I to worry about the unkown dosing amounts an ato method offers. Weather's cooled off N evap seems less an less. But as I said this is only temporary until I get a dos mailed to me. I mean everyone needs at least 4 of those units right. . I plan on looking thru my scraps today to see if I can make a dripp setup.

I use a kalk reactor and mix 4x a day. It sits for 1hr before the drip restarts. It's never clear...and I've let it sit for 24hrs...and it still doesn't clear.

How old is your tank? What is your Alk consumption?

If the answer is newish and I don't know then you probably don't need to dose anything. Just water changes and monitoring Alk.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a kalk reactor and mix 4x a day. It sits for 1hr before the drip restarts. It's never clear...and I've let it sit for 24hrs...and it still doesn't clear.

How old is your tank? What is your Alk consumption?

If the answer is newish and I don't know then you probably don't need to dose anything. Just water changes and monitoring Alk.
See thats what I dont understand either, you say you use it cloudy, but someone else above waits until its clear. So how long to wait for it to settle? It does clear, but it takes a few days.

I let it sit about 3-4 days before I use it, the water is completely see-thru. I decided on this method after reading everything I possibly could on the internet, but I'm not 1000% sure that I'm doing it correctly

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See thats what I dont understand either, you say you use it cloudy, but someone else above waits until its clear. So how long to wait for it to settle? It does clear, but it takes a few days.

I let it sit about 3-4 days before I use it, the water is completely see-thru. I decided on this method after reading everything I possibly could on the internet, but I'm not 1000% sure that I'm doing it correctly

I don't think it matters. Especially if you're adding it to a high-flow area. The cloudiness may also depend on Kalk being used. I use the BRS kalk which is like a fine dust. It never clears.

Vyper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I bought a kamoer dosing pump originally intended for a calcium reactor. I use it now just for kalkwasser and love it. The continual steady dosing is nice for more stability than a dos would offer

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? ---- 4years old
What is your Alk consumption is approximately .5 a day.
I'm interested in the ph upside of Kalk. that being the reaction that the cal hydroxide as it
combines with in-tank carbon dioxide (CO2) and bicarbonate forming bicarbonate and carbonate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until it is clear.

I do not understand what you mean you are going to add 2 gallons of kalk with 8 gallons of rodi.
Once my kalk is settled to my liking. I will remove one gallon of rodi water from my ato reservoir and replace it with one gallon of kalk water.

let the ato run almost empty. Refill it with 8 gallons of rodi an add 2 gallons of Kal solution...... an so on.....

BUT I have determined that I am going to go the drip method. Instead. So this is a mute topic now.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? ---- 4years old
What is your Alk consumption is approximately .5 a day.
I'm interested in the ph upside of Kalk. that being the reaction that the cal hydroxide as it
combines with in-tank carbon dioxide (CO2) and bicarbonate forming bicarbonate and carbonate.
What size tank?

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150 gross gallons DT (100-125 tg +/- water only), 25g in the sump (55g tank) 10g frag, the frag is plumbed into the system. i estimate about 150 total water

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my daily evap rate is in. 1.25 gallons today. Should I track it for several months before settling on a exact number. hahahahahaha

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%

Back