kalkwasser stirring

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you have kalkwasser setup to stir?

I have a 5 gallon Elos top off container setup with a doser to dose every other hour for now.
I have enough powder to more than saturate the 5 gallons and have it setup to stir it with a power head.

How I have the schedule now:

0100 dose 0105 start stir 0110 end stir
0300 dose 0305 start stir 0310 end stir
and so on 24/7

The reasoning behind the stir time is I am sure it settle out and won't suck up the slurry and dose it, just the clear saturated liquid.

Is this often enough to stir?

Thanks for the input.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to add that evaporation is made up with a tunze osmolator with RODI from a 7 gallon acrylic container I built.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your schedule seems to go along with the norm.

The idea that you give it the longest time to settle is good. As I understand it, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, is that once the solution moves to saturation it won't fall out. (Of course that's not considering pH change from exposure to co2, but that just complicates the answer).

Edit: does your tunze osmolator push rodi through the kalk reactor as well?

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your schedule seems to go along with the norm.

The idea that you give it the longest time to settle is good. As I understand it, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, is that once the solution moves to saturation it won't fall out. (Of course that's not considering pH change from exposure to co2, but that just complicates the answer).

Edit: does your tunze osmolator push rodi through the kalk reactor as well?

Thanks for the input.

I should be able to limit the CO2 issue because I am 3d printing plugs for the Holes not being used and putting in an air line check valve to only let in enough air to keep a vacuum from forming and either breaking the doser or breaking the containter. (don't ask how I know this is possible :astonished-face:)

No, just straight RODI from the top off into the sump. I figured dosing will be easier to control the amount of kalk being used so I can keep tabs on it.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, just straight RODI from the top off into the sump. I figured dosing will be easier to control the amount of kalk being used so I can keep tabs on it.
That's what I was hoping to hear.

As for open reactor, for the life of me I can't understand why most kalk reactors are open to the atmosphere. It seems that a sealed unit would make so much more sense especially how most get fed.

Semisonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it needs to be stirred coming from a topoff reservoir (I never have). I think one of Randy’s articles says saturated kalk keeps its potency for 7-9ish days, but double check me on that. Kalk stirring comes into play when you’re constantly introducing fresh ro water to a concentrated amount of kalk.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it needs to be stirred coming from a topoff reservoir (I never have). I think one of Randy’s articles says saturated kalk keeps its potency for 7-9ish days, but double check me on that. Kalk stirring comes into play when you’re constantly introducing fresh ro water to a concentrated amount of kalk.

Appreciate the input. Maybe @Randy Holmes-Farley will chime in on this.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back