kalkwasser with 2part(b-ionic)

Flyingbulldog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
For years, we have been using kalkwasser to keep up the demand of our mixed reef tank. The tank has now mature and so are the corals. We have accumulated more sps not that we ever had in our redsea425xl (~100 gal). We are now in a point that kalkwasser itself is not keeping up the demand of our alkalinity. Although are calcium sits at 450ppm, our alkalinity is at 5.-7-6.1dkh using salifert test kit. We currently use 9tsp of BRS kalkwasser mixed in our 5 galloon jugs for ATO.

On top of the kalkwasser we are using, we decided to start adding b-ionic 2 part solution to raise our alkalinity. We want to raise our alkalinity slowly so we started adding 1ml then 2ml.... and test. Yesterday I added 8ml ALK and 2ml CA of b-ionic, tested and it is still giving me 5.7-6.1dkh and 470pp CA.

How much more do I need to add to start seeing the numbers climb up? Need help. I am not sure if I am doing this correctly. Anyone experience this problem before? Any input is much appreciated.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to get a second test kit or bring a sample to a friend/lfs to test. That seams really low. Adding 8 ml isn’t a lot depending on your tank inhabitants. Has your coralline bloomed recently at all ? If you look at your return pump, does it have a lot of calcification on it?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s linkie to calculator
http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html
After years of using kalk find that an occasional dosage to boost alkaline is needed. Seems to only happen 1-2x a year, and is usually an indicator, to me, that circulating pumps need a cleaning. When surface movement goes down so does ph. Ph and alkaline follow each other

OP
OP
Flyingbulldog

Flyingbulldog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Try to get a second test kit or bring a sample to a friend/lfs to test. That seams really low. Adding 8 ml isn’t a lot depending on your tank inhabitants. Has your coralline bloomed recently at all ? If you look at your return pump, does it have a lot of calcification on it?

Coraline is everywhere in the tank for example the back glass and so as the bottom as it is a bare bottom. I only have 2 mp40s which is covered with Coraline algae but I can clean that right now and see it makes a difference.

OP
OP
Flyingbulldog

Flyingbulldog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Here’s linkie to calculator
http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html
After years of using kalk find that an occasional dosage to boost alkaline is needed. Seems to only happen 1-2x a year, and is usually an indicator, to me, that circulating pumps need a cleaning. When surface movement goes down so does ph. Ph and alkaline follow each other
Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 5.16.45 PM.png

My PH moves around 8.2-8.5 which is not low. I believe kalkwasser keeps it at that lvl.
I am not sure if I am using bionic Original CA Buff or bionic Bicarbonate Buff. I thought there is only 1 bi-ionic 2 part. lol THe calculator is telling me to add 111.1ml on B-ionic Original Ca Buff meanwhile 440ml on Bionic Bicarbonatee. o_O How many doses do I have to do?

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only calculate 1 dkh per day instead of total. You don’t want to go over board with alkalinity and tick everything off in the tank. Any rapid changes usually have negative effects

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop dosing the calcium portion of the B-Ionic until the alkalinity levels are where you want them at. I dose B-Ionic as well as kalkwasser.

OP
OP
Flyingbulldog

Flyingbulldog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I would stop dosing the calcium portion of the B-Ionic until the alkalinity levels are where you want them at. I dose B-Ionic as well as kalkwasser.
Would it ok to just dose the alkalinity and not the calcium? I was told you need to dose both for it to work, it doesnt have to be the same amount.

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it ok to just dose the alkalinity and not the calcium? I was told you need to dose both for it to work, it doesnt have to be the same amount.
I think for a short time you can dose Alk-only, but really you’ll always also have some Ca demand, so the trick is to dose them each at the right level. Here’s a good article that breaks it all down: https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would dose alkalinity until your levels are balanced and once they are then begin dosing calcium with the alkalinity. I try to stay between 8.5 and 9.0 dKH for alkalinity and 425 and 430ppm for calcium.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is, but it is not necessary in your case. Calcium won’t rise much.

OP
OP
Flyingbulldog

Flyingbulldog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
A little update on my system. We did water change over the weekend and still raising the amount of bionic alkalinity in every dose. Yesterday we added 10ml of alk, 5ml in the morning and 5ml at night. This morning I tested the water and results come up to 6.4dkh. Plan is to add 12ml today and will test tomorrow morning...

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt mix are you using? Seams weird it didn’t help your levels go up. Do you know what the alkalinity is of a fresh batch of salt?

OP
OP
Flyingbulldog

Flyingbulldog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
What salt mix are you using? Seams weird it didn’t help your levels go up. Do you know what the alkalinity is of a fresh batch of salt?
I use Fritz Reef Pro (blue box) I only did 5 gallon water change in my 425xl. The newly mix salt has 8.5dkh when I tested, so I wouldn't really say it it helps since our alk was initially at 5.4-5.7. I just can't believe our tank has a big demand for alk now...

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 161 73.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 36 16.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back