Kalkwasser with elevated calcium?

Falcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all
I’ve been wanting to start dosing kalk as a way to manage my alk and calcium. Right now my alk is being consumed (and I’ve slowly buffered it back up) but my calcium doesn’t seem to go down and is around 550.
Any idea how i should make the transition to kalk? Or wait for the calcium to come down?

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I gather about your post, you are not currently dosing Kalk, but your Ca is 550.

Are you dosing a 2part currently? If so you can stop the Ca dosing until it comes down to 440.

Just remember that Kalk has a tendency to raise Ca over prolonged usage as well.

OP
OP
F

Falcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only been dosing ALK (soda ash).

I'm losing only about .5 DkH a day. The tank only has a handful of LPS/SPS at this point.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only been dosing ALK (soda ash).

I'm losing only about .3 DkH a day. The tank only has a handful of LPS/SPS at this point.

That is pretty low, and the expected drop in calcium is only 2 ppm a day. Thus, it would take a long time to reliably detect a calcium drop and water changes with a high calcium mix might keep it propped up.

What you are dosing is fine until calcium comes into the lower 400's (assuming it is accurately measured in the 550 ppm range now).

IF you want the pH boost of kalkwasser without the calcium, you can use sodium hydroxide.

When you start the kalkwasser eventually, you won't need all that much. A calculator can tell you how much.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back